net info

Jeffo

Registered
OK here it is.

I hear people speaking about netinfo all the time and i have opened it and it does not seem like something that i would use. maybe it is because i dont know how to read the info. can someone please explain to me either how to use it or why you would want too?

jeffo

it replaces many of the /etc configuration files that are normally used when your mac boots into multi-user mode. When it single user mode, your mac will read the /etc config files to get you up and running enough to fix any issue you may have that required you to boot into single user mode in the first place.

I guess this database is used because it provides a central means of managing the systems configuration and can thus be altered more easily... especially if you have many systems.

Personally I find the documentation to be lacking and prefer the old BSD way of doing things, but then again, I am a biased FreeBSD sysadmin.

There's a lengthy Apple document entitled "Understanding and Using Netinfo." It is available for download (pdf) at the Apple site. It should answer all your questions--and raise some more!!

Back