net sharing with PCs

cbaron

All right, let me expose my problem :

I want to share my internet connexion from my mac (OS X 10.2.3) to a PC (winXP pro :D ). I just want to know if the PC needs to be configured like if it were a mac. Please answer, thanks.

How are you connected to the internet? via broadband or analog modem?

If u are connected via ethernet broadband then invest in a simple broadband router such as the ones sold on the net by netgear or linksys....

Then connect the mac and pc and the broadband modem to it and you can surf on both machines at the same time. Just ensure your DHCP settings are configured to received IP addresses automatically from the cable router. (They usually are by default)

I'm connected via ADSL (with a USB modem, that's why I want to configure my mac as a DHCP server for the pc).

If you have a DSL modem with a USB connection, most likely you will have to use the software sharing method, or get a combination DSL modem/router.

IPNetShareX is a program designed to give users graphical access to Mac OS X's Network Address Translation (NAT) services without having to use the command line. NAT is a protocol used to share a single internet connection among multiple computers without requiring a dedicated hardware router.

You can find out more and download a trial version here:
http://www.sustworks.com/site/prod_gnat_overview.html
http://www.sustworks.com/site/downloads.html

System requirements:
1. Mac OS X.
2. A connection to the Internet. IPNetShareX can be used with cable modems, xDSL, dial-up modems, or most other data link providers.
3. At least one network interface card connected to a network. Preferably two cards. If you just want to share internet access between one mac and one pc, then a cross-over network cable will do

Hope this helps

In fact I wanted to know how to configure the PC client as Jaguar provides a "Share internet connexion" button.

ok, sorry abt that. Yes you can activate the "share internet connection" on the mac to allow others on the same network to share a single internet connection.

The PC DHCP settings need to be set up to accept IP addresses automatically. Assuming your network card is properly installed with TCP/IP this should already be enabled. Otherwise you have to do it manually by adding the TCP/IP protocol to the network panel in Network Neighborhood.

Back