Netgear router slowing down internet

mb1239

Registered
Hello,

I am new to this site. After many years as a PC user, I have recently switched to the iMac dual core. I am having some problems with the internet and hope someone can help.

I connect to the internet through Comcast (Motorola surfboard modem) and a Netgear WGT624 G 108MP router. At first, I had both the Apple and my old PC connected wirelessly. That was working OK but the Apple kept losing the internet connection when it went to sleep. After some research I determined that others were having this problem and it is probably an error in the iMac hardware.

So I switched to run the internet through the router, keeping the wireless connection for my PC laptop but running an ethernet cable to the iMac. However, I noticed that at time the download speeds on the iMac fluctuate - sometimes they are >6MP, and sometimes they go down to 1.5MP. If I immediately unplug the cable from the router and directly into the modem, the speed jumps back up to >6MP. So it appears to be something in the router. But I need to keep the router so I can keep the wireless connection, which seems to work OK.

Does anyone have any suggestions what I can try to keep the speeds up? I have gotten pretty handy with the iMac but I'm not skilled enough yet to know what settings to change, etc. without some guidance.

Thanks in advance for your time.
MB

BGprinting said:
Have you ever logged into your netgear! could be your running NAT and or DHCP on both!

I'm not sure what you mean by the question. I log onto the Netgear router all the time to administer it. I also have used it on both the iMac and the PC. I'm not sure what NAT or DHCP is.

Back