NetInfo / Jaguar

LordCoven

Registered
Hey there,

I noticed when looking at the NFS StartupItem script in Jaguar that it now also takes the good old /etc/exports into consideration ... does anyone know if Darwin is moving away from NetInfo? Or is it here to stay??

C

I assume NetInfo is here to stay (especially since the server version of OS X relies on it extensively).

It does seem that Apple did capitulate and make some concessions in 10.2, such as returning to some more traditional /etc/flatfile configuration for a number of former NetInfo chores (e.g. /etc/services).

... at least that'll make it easier for people coming from *NIX backgrounds to get to grips with the system. I've actually grown (almost) fond of NetInfo - but when I think back to trying to get NFS to work the first time round ("WHY aren't my changes in /etc/exports being reckognised??? It bloody works on Linux!!!" and similar quotes to that effect) it would have been made a lot easier if the various programs had read it from both /etc and NetInfo.

Interestingly, my previous settings for NFS in NetInfo now don't work any more ... so I've moved them into the /etc/exports. Must have a root (no pun intended) around the system at some point to make sure other services aren't suffering from the same problem. (I suspect that AFS sharing is too ... there's entries in NetInfo for extra directories to share, but other Macs can't see them ...) ... but I haven't had time yet ...

Anyway - thanks for the response :)

C

I think they are moving away from NetInfo and more toward LDAP. I have reread the Jaguar Server Manual.

Apple is fully moving towards full LDAP compliance.
I was at a seminar on the Xserve when it was released in Canada and the engineers kept talking about how LDAP was going to replace the Netinfo DB in the next releases since integrating LDAP into exisiting Windows networks and having windows be authenticated is much less complicated, less work (for both the admin and apple programmers) since it is already a standard.

just my thoughts on what I have heard.
Netinfo right now is somewhat of a "hybrid" when you enable LDAP support on your server.

I thought I was right. Now I just have to figure out this LDAP stuff so I can actually use it. NetInfo is kind of acting as a bridge now.

Back