NetRestore / NetInstall issue with 10.6 server

Tranziq

Registered
Running 10.6.1 OSX server

Trying to create a NetRestore of 10.6.1 using System Image Utility
I created an Image of my 10.6.1 client in Carbon Copy Cloner. (Carbon Copy Cloner is still in beta for Snow Leopard Support) Failed after "Creating Image from Source"

Tried to create an Image by putting my Client image computer in Target Disk Mode and connecting it to my server and creating the NetRestore Image without using (CCC) at all. It failed in the same place.

Has anyone been able to create a custom netrestore for 10.6?

any other suggestions or workarounds out there?

Thanks

Last edited:
I have created a CCC v3.3 of my Mac OS X v10.6.1 server running live using CCC v3.3.
I have made a netboot image of my Mac OS X v10.6.0 server installation DVD using System Image Utility.

You can not create an image of the startup disk you are running on using System Image Utility.

Not sure I explained this good enough

I have an iMac running Snow Leopard 10.6.1 that I use as a "Gold Image" and keep it 100% up to date with all the software my organization requires. I periodically Carbon Copy Cloner it to create an image then transfer the image to my server running 10.6.1 osx Server.

I then mount the image on the server and proceed to use system image utility to create a netrestore so my Server can use NetBoot to restore the other 200 iMacs on the production floor.

Prior to 10.6 it was called NetInstall. I have been lead to believe NetInstall is no longer what I need but I need NetRestore to accomplish what NetInstall did in 10.5

When I run System Image Utility the Image Fails using both processes stated in the Original post.

I hope this clarifies what I am asking.

I am not cloning the server, I am cloning a client. The clone works fine, verifies fine, mounts fine. The software in question is the System Image Utility 2 ( 10.6 (438))

thank you for All suggestions and or help.

Did you read the last bullet point on Carbon Copy Cloner features page?

° Simple interface for indicating exactly what you want to back up

° Restore using the same process used for backup

° Backups are non-proprietary, so you can browse them or use them with Migration Assistant

° Built-in software update feature notifies you when updates are available

Back