Netscape 6 for OSX?

Ghoser777

Registered
Has anyone heard anything about Netscape 6 being ported to OSX? I'd sort of like a mainstream alternative to IE (although icab and omniweb are pretty cool). I'm using it under OS9 as I type, and although it is suppose to have aton of bugs, nothing really bad and awedult sticks out at me. Just throughin' this out there.

F-bacher

The Fizilla changes are being merged into the Mozilla trunk, going by the conversation in the Mozilla newsgroups, so I imagine we'll see a carbonized Netscape 6.something eventually.

I like the new interface but the mail in it crashes my computer if I try to use it. I think it's too buggy to use IMHO.

I have used in on Mac, the only problem I found was the amount of memory it used (32MB) vs. the pitiful amount IE uses (12.4MB). I found it very stablem, however, some of the stability problems are mainly caused by a lack of real memory and as a result Mac OS starts to use virtual memory, making the program very unstable.

Originally posted by dukejava
I have used in on Mac, the only problem I found was the amount of memory it used (32MB) vs. the pitiful amount IE uses (12.4MB). I found it very stablem, however, some of the stability problems are mainly caused by a lack of real memory and as a result Mac OS starts to use virtual memory, making the program very unstable.

Compared to the other platforms N6/Mozilla runs on, the classic Mac OS has a really anemic memory manager, so this makes sense. I would expect that as the Carbonized version of the Mozilla codebase matures, the OSX version will far surpass the classic version's stability for this very reason.

Back