Netscape 6

The Madhatter

Registered
Are there any reasons I shouldn't completely delete IE and switch to Netscape? Is there any advantage to keeping IE on my comp, like being able to do things on the Net I can't do in Netscape? I dowloaded and installed Netscape 6 and it seems like it works extremely well. I want to keep it, but am not too sure about compatibility with all the web plugins and things.

I would always keep IE installed. Personally, I really hate Netscape, so I have OmniWeb installed (actually I do have NS installed too, but I rarely, if ever, use it). It's good to keep more than one browser handy in case you come across one site that your default browser won't handle.

I completly agree with simx (there i said it:p )

but i default to the taxi - icab.

I could give lots of good political reasons not to use netrape or exploiter but in the end you've got to decide if you want to support aol and/or m$. you create your own future.;)

Comon you guys. Omniweb and icab can't render stuff well at all. Omniweb doesn't even support :hover in CSS for god sakes! :) Netscape 6/Mozilla has the best support. And IE is in second, but I wouldn't use IE anyway. Opera isn't very good at supporting things either. If they would get their support issues fixed then I would consider them but for now I can't stand using them.

P.S. I use Mozilla not Netscape 6. Mozilla is updated more and you don't get all the AOL stuff with it. Also the mozilla community is very friendly. Netscape 6 is more for the consumer though.

Comon you guys. Omniweb and icab can't render stuff well at all. Omniweb doesn't even support :hover in CSS for god sakes! :) Netscape 6/Mozilla has the best support. And IE is in second, but I wouldn't use IE anyway. Opera isn't very good at supporting things either. If they would get their support issues fixed then I would consider them but for now I can't stand using them.

P.S. I use Mozilla not Netscape 6. Mozilla is updated more and you don't get all the AOL stuff with it. Also the mozilla community is very friendly. Netscape 6 is more for the consumer though.

I personally don't care who makes the browser, as long as it works. I have done a lot of testing of IE 5.1 and NS 6.2. Truthfully, Netscape is faster and seems to be more compatable with stuff than IE, so 6.2 is my main browser.

I keep IE on here because it's a close second and sometimes I come across a site that Netscape just doesn't like, so I crack open IE and most of time it works out fine.

I keep IE on here because it's a close second and sometimes I come across a site that Netscape just doesn't like, so I crack open IE and most of time it works out fine.

which is essentially what simx and i said except we use either of those only when we run across the occasional site that is funky. we default to our new generation browsers. i don't know what sites you visit, but after playing with preferences, icab now renders all my pages i regularly visit the same as ie or netscape or mozilla. i would use omniweb like simx except i cannot get it to render my fantasy sports page correctly no matter how much i try. it is normally where i go as soon as i am done here.

i have one browser icon in my dock and 5 alias icons for other browsers sitting right on top of the dock on the desktop. i use all of them from time to time but i normally start with icab. i really like the aqua buttons in omniweb but can only make it work for so many places. i can use any of them here on this site.

as i have stated, my choice to avoid the old generation browsers is more a political statement than a matter of outright superiority.:)

For me, OmniWeb renders almost every web page I go to perfectly. The ones it doesn't render I actually only go to rarely, so the incompatibility issues don't pose that much of a problem for me. The reason I keep both OmniWeb and IE in my Dock is that OW is just too damn slow -- especially on MacOSX.com. And since I haven't optimized yet (I hope to today -- gonna install OS 9 and TechTool on my iPod :D ), OmniWeb is still too slow for many things. I admit that I probably use IE more because I'm just annoyed at how slow OW is on my computer, but when I go to my mom's or dad's computer, I use OW exclusively because it is up to par and even faster than IE. I really want that speed, but I'm not getting it. :( Hopefully optimization will help.

I use mostly OW, and it is fast on my machine. But I still use IE5.0 for Caramail or Dromadaire, two french chat sites that my children often access.

I like omniweb alot, but being a person who makes websites a fair bit I enjoy using a browser that can render my pages properly. Omniweb still can't support CSS1 very well. They don't support any new CSS stuff or other new standards. Their rendering engine is below that of Netscape 4.x (which was pretty bad).

Omniweb has an amazing interface, but it lacks standards. Netscape/Mozilla has a bad interface but is great with standards. Since I write my pages to standards I'll stick with NS/Mozilla.

I'm not saying that using OW or icab or opera is a bad thing though. I'd rather use any of those than IE.

It's fast, and has much improved CSS support. Sites like www.espn.com that OW 4.0 couldn't render right, now render just fine.

They still have some work to do with Javascript support. It's actually pretty good, but I have run in to a couple of tags that don't work right...

Back