Netscape 7.0, OS X and Acrobat

daw

Registered
Has anyone noticed that Netscape 7.0 does not recognize the Acrobat 5.0 PDFViewer plugin. So to view pdf files you must download each and every one and open them externally in Acrobat. Well, if the pdf has a link and was intended to be opened in the browser to follow the link - You are screwed! I'm about to toss Netscape 7.0 and go back to 4.7x. Is this progress?

Oh yeah, IE 5.x is no better. It also will not recognize the PDFViewer plugin sitting right below plugins it does see (in System/Library/Internet Plugins). So it too is broken for links inside of pdf files.

I was better off with Netscape 4.7 on OS 9.1. Is this progess Mr. Jobs?

Right now, I don't give a rat's ass if its Acrobat, Netscape, Apple, or Microsoft that is responsible for this bowser mess, It needs some attention. These Browser wars leave me thinking that we should all move to Linux (or perhaps Montana and raise dental floss...):mad:

You like opening PDF in your web browser? It's annoying as hell. I always rather open them in Acrobat. But what do you expect from someone who lives in Piscataway :p

Its not a matter of what One likes or dislikes. Netscape has used plugins in the past versions and Acrobat offers the PDFViewer plugin as a method of accessing pdf files. I simply am asking that they provide the functionality that they offer before they release upgrades. We run a teaching WEB site and make the material available to students who are accessing the site on public computers. Downloading to view all of the content is not practicle or desirable. As for living in piscataway. Some of us work in places other than our parents homes.

Its not a matter of what One likes or dislikes. Netscape has used plugins in the past versions and Acrobat offers the PDFViewer plugin as a method of accessing pdf files. I simply am asking that they provide the functionality that they offer before they release upgrades. We run a teaching WEB site and make the material available to students who are accessing the site on public computers. Downloading to view all of the content is not practicle or desirable. As for living in piscataway. Some of us work in places other than our parents homes.

Please calm down.

This plug-in may not be at the right place.

Try those:

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins (do NOT use /System/whatever ! That's OSX only)
/Users/You/Library/Internet Plug-Ins

Is the plug-in compatible with Netscape 7 ? Is there another plug-in somewhere else that conflicts ?

None of this is Apple's fault. You should complain to Netscape Communications <http://www.netscape.com> for plug-in problems and lack of documentation.

Finally, I recommend using a lighter and smoother browser called Chimera <http://www.mozilla.org and then look a bit by yourself>

Toast,

I am generally calm. Of course I've checked that the plugin was in the correct location for both IE and Netscape. Chimera is perhaps a nice solution for an individual, but not for a class. My gripe is that a new version of both Netscape and IE were launched without resolving the issue of third party plugins, in this case, the most heavily used document distribution format on the planet. e.g. ejournals such as Science, Nature, Cell, JCB, JBC... all use this format. Would it have hurt to have established that the PDFViewer for Acrobat 5.0 (the most current distribution) actually worked with Netscape and IE in OS X before either launched?

As for Apple, it strikes them deep in the credibility of their new OS and their education market share to fuel the rumor that it is "not compatible" with current technology available on Windoz, Linux etc. Do they want to see the Jaguar become an endangered species?

Back