Netscape 7 PR1!!!

Notice those "for me the first things are other" and "last for me is the gui" statements? Those are called opinion. GUI isn't important for you, fine. But don't criticize others for considering GUI first.

And yes, I would refuse to read a book because of the author. I do think the publisher has a lot to do with the quality of the book. And I do consider the cover to convey information about the contents.

Examples:
I don't like Stephen King books. I don't like his stories, his writing style, his genre. So why would I go out and waste my time reading his new novel?

O'Reilly books have been consistently good in my eyes. All of them that I have seen have been well written and full of good information. I'd recommend any O'Reilly book sight unseen, whether I know the subject in question or not.

If I see a computer book with "Learn this in 21 days!!!! You too can be a master!!! Yippee kiy-yay!!!!!" in neon yellow with pink lettering, I'll skip it. Sorry, if they can't go to enough trouble to get a good cover, I doubt that they'll go to any trouble to get good content.

The reason I bring this up is that I see a lot of good feedback about this browser, almost all of it being pretty objective, about more than just the UI. Mail handling, speed, extraneous features, pop-up blocking. I just don't see why the judgment of the UI is such a big deal to you.

Edit: p.s. I was incorrect in the fact that there was one comment about the makers of the browser. I see two, must have missed one in my first pass. Sorry.

Netscape = Mozilla (old) + AOL Stuff

Mozilla = Mozilla (new)

If you actually *like* Netscape 7 PR1, you should download the latest nightly build of Mozilla and trash Netscape forever.

Go to http://mozilla.org ... On the lower right are the nightly builds. Just click on Mac OS X.

You won't have to update nightly, of course, only if you find that the version you're using is getting too old. I haven't had bad builds in the last few months, but then again, I'm using OmniWeb 85% of my browsing time, IE 10% and Mozilla 5%.

Actually, if you want to ban MS from your Mac, OW and Mozilla make a good pair. :)

Nummi, Wow I'm looking forward to the sleek lean peice of software known as IE 5.5. I'm sure it will be the best thing ever. At least Microsoft will tell you so.

Using NS7 for Windows right now... it's the best NS i've used... i always hated the previous versions.... 4.x ****ED!

NS 2 was the best way back when... ahh i remember those days of Windows 3.11

Originally posted by googolplex
This is just based on a recent Mozilla build with some extra netscape bloat and less features that AOL doesn't like in mozilla (pop-up blocking etc.)

This pretty much sums it up... Try Mozilla Try Mozilla... why is everyone so afraid of Mozilla?

Originally posted by BlingBling 3k12
...NS 2 was the best way back when... ahh i remember those days of Windows 3.11
Yeah I agree... but I was running my on Mac OS 7 and not Win 3.11. Ugh!!!

My first browser was Mosiac and I remember how happy I was when Netscape 0.9 came out. LOL!

I think I agree with this last one: I've been TRYING to use Netscape 4/6/7 and they're ALL slow, though I hate to admit a Microsoft product can get over the Mozilla one.

But the facts are there:
- Netscape forces you to like AIM/AOL as well as Netscape mail as well as many defualt settings driving you on netscape.com, and this really annoys me
- Netscape is just one big application with plenty of things, of useless things, of SLOW things: some people just need the browser, some want the mail, some want the composer — Netscape forces all out of the way to them. Annoying too !
- Eventually, Netscape is SLOW, dramatically SLOW, critically SLOW, stupidely SLOW. And I'm using OSX on a G3/500 so that's enough for Netscape.

Yes, taht's enough: Opera is ok, Chimera is on my desktop (tesing tonight), OmniWeb just crashes all the time, and M$IE works VERY well in a VERY Aqua interface and with very much OSX spirit ! I'm waiting for that much effort from Mozilla before using.

Back