Netscape for X?

VGZ

Registered
If you look at page 88 of the April 2001 issue of Macworld you can see an ad. for netscape 6. The unusual part is that the ad. shows netscape 6 with an Aqua titlebar.

Thought all you netscape users might be interested. Though I think its probably not really in Aqua due to the scrollbars on the side/bottom of the window.

I haven't been subscribing to Macworld for a while now and I have not seen the ad in question but I have kinda stopped using Netscape (well Netscape versions above 4.75)
I liked 4.75, it was nice. I still use it, and prefer it over IE.

In OS X I had teh opportunity to use Omniweb. If netscape does not pull it's act together I think that when OS X rolls out I will probably be an omniweb user :).

I think Netscape 6 is a monstrosity! It seems too buggy and uncooperative. I gave it 2 chances (at 3 month intervals) and still did not like it :p

What do you guys think ?

Admiral

In Netscape 6, it allows the ability to use themes. My guess is that Netscape found an Aqua theme.

You can get Mozilla (the open-source Netscape project) in a Carbonized form. It's called Fizzila.

I've tried it and (since it's still in it's early stages and it's open-source) it didn't work all that well. When it actually loaded, after listening to the grinding-sound of the hard drive for several minutes, I noticed it was text-only. I tried quitting, since it was lagging up my system, but I ended up force quitting.

If it gets the attention it deserves, could become a very powerful (popular, maybe?) program.

I think Netscape is history on the Mac platform. I haven't ever talked to anyone that's liked it.

It's ironic, but MS has always made a better Mac browser than Netscape, platform politics aside.

Although I do use OmniWeb 95% of the time now. (It still has problems with some sites that use javascript heavily, so I have to use IE for those)

Mozilla/Fizilla owns!!! The ultimate (rock, rockin' it). Sure it's moving along rather slowly, but given time (maybe a lot), it's going to be the most rock & roll browser of all time. (Until then, I'll use OmniWeb and Opera)

Oh, and netscape 4.x totally doesn't rock. It's caused web programmers hell for way to long. As long as you continue to use that terrible old browser you are preventing the web from becoming embracing standards compliant designs!

I'll have you know that I AM a web programmer and IE is the browser that causes me hell> It just sux. I love Netscape 4.x! I did particuarly like Netscape 6 bebause its lacking. ANYTHING given ample time can develop...your cant depend on if and if and if. You need results here and now. Omniweb seems to be the best thing on X right now.

Admiral

I use Omniweb in X and will continue to do so. I know that there are a lot of Netscape freaks out there that like it for one reason or another and I thought that they would be interested in this. Netscape 6 is themeable but not the titlebar. Besides it has a different theme installed anyway. Go look at a copy of the ad in the mag and see what it looks like to you.

In the early days I was a Navigator fan and Explorer hater (for obvious reasons) but that has completely changed. IE launches without issues, displays html much more consistently, supports more of the CSS standards, and (this point is key) I'm able to install it onto my machine.

Neither Omni Web nor Navigator 6 has been able to install onto either of my Macs: G4 400 and an iBook.

Being a web designer, having the ability to view my pages in multiple browsers is somewhat key -- as much as I hate to admit it, Microsoft did something right. . . of course, the IE browser in PB totally sucks, but then it's only a beta of it anyway.

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
I'll have you know that I AM a web programmer and IE is the browser that causes me hell> It just sux. I love Netscape 4.x! I did particuarly like Netscape 6 bebause its lacking. ANYTHING given ample time can develop...your cant depend on if and if and if. You need results here and now. Omniweb seems to be the best thing on X right now.

Admiral

I don't know exactly what all of this meant but here's my response:

Are you saying that it's harder to code sites for IE than Netscape 4.x? N4 is possibly the most anti-standards compliant browser ever! It has terrible CSS support and it's Javascript is wack!! On top of that, netscape 4 goes beyond just not supporting w3 approved code, it actually becomes almost unusable (or sometimes crashes) if you use standards compliant css code. Besides CSSP is way better than 'layers' ,why do you think N6 threw out all the N4 proriety tags?? Because they sucked. Get with the program.

Omniweb is, in my opinion, the most Aqua broswer out there (underwater boogie baby!) but it also suffers from bad css/javascript support (this should be fixed by the final release) and no PNG support. Omni however was smart enough to turn off CSS support in the latest beta instead of leaving broken css support (like netscape 4). What this means, is that you can still surf web pages that use CSS and they look just fine.

To be saying the NS4 is the best browser to code makes me think that you don't know how powerful w3 approved code can really be.

Navigator 6 I can understand but what went wrong with OmniWeb? All you have to do is drag it from the disk image to your HD and it's installed. If it didnt' download right, try using the command line - copy the download link, then open a terminal window and type wget and paste in the link. That should download to your home directory.

I have a book here on HTML and CSS and I use this as my BIBLE when it comes to making my web pages. All I know is that when I make my web pages I can get them to look the way I want them to look using standard HTML on Netscape and not on IE (with the small exception of using the <spacer> tag)

As for Javascript, standard javascript, AFAIAK works. I dont do my own javascript. I rarely use it and when I do use it I use simple scripts that other people have already made. What I hate about IE is that MS has made so many "enhancements" to EMCAScript (i.e. javascript) that if you code as an MS coder your stuff only works on IE browsers.

I am all for NS4.75 (what I currently use on OS 9) and all for OmniWeb (on OS X)

OmniWeb rocks !
It is ALSO a BETA, it is cocoa, fast, inituitive and powerful.
Moreover it handles Unicodes like no other WB can do.

For thoses who are not able to use it, please wait for MacOS X final, and the first OmniWeb version to support it officialy.

Thx...

Oh, and Netscape sucks... I don't like to admit it, but it is true.

I prefered NS in the past, because it was better than IE, but NS was going crappier and crappier. I can't understand why they were shouting themselves like this ! AOL...

I am using iCab, because I boycott Microsoft. IE 5 is a good browser, but iCab too, and since IE is taking marketshares, one day, it will be the same problem as Windows : 90% of the market... We have to favorize competition.

I don' t have money now, but soon I will have, and I will pay my OmniWeb version, even if I can choose to use it for free.
These guys at Omni are doing great things and they have a very good philosophy.

Omniweb is, in my opinion, the most Aqua broswer out there (underwater boogie baby!) but it also suffers from bad css/javascript support (this should be fixed by the final release) and no PNG support. Omni however was smart enough to turn off CSS support in the latest beta instead of leaving broken css support (like netscape 4). What this means, is that you can still surf web pages that use CSS and they look just fine.

I agree 100%.. IMO the best thing OmniWeb has going for it is Omni itself. It's almost a surreal experience to actually get feedback on what a browser developer is up to. I've sent in bug reports & suggestions to Omni and have gotten responses back saying yeah, they need to fix this, that's a good idea, etc.. talking to MS or Netscape is like shouting into a black hole.

Originally posted by endian
Navigator 6 I can understand but what went wrong with OmniWeb? All you have to do is drag it from the disk image to your HD and it's installed. If it didnt' download right, try using the command line - copy the download link, then open a terminal window and type wget and paste in the link. That should download to your home directory.

I don't know. I've attempted to install various versions since PB was released and each crashes at launch. I just downloaded OmniWeb 4 beta 9 from the Omni site, opened up the img, dragged it to my Utilities directory (it won't let me install into Applications saying that Apps cannot be modified)...

tried to launch it and Boom!

OmniGroup CrashCatcher Report for OmniWeb (4.0 beta 9 (01/25/01))
Wed Feb 28 20:40:19 US/Pacific 2001
Mac OS X (Public Beta (build 1H39))
1 processors

OmniWeb (4.0 beta 9 (01/25/01)) has crashed with exception = 0x00000001, code = 0x5acf06e0;0x00000002;0x00000000;.
Please hit the e-mail button below to mail the full text of this report to omniweb4-crash@omnigroup.com.

Any tips??

Hobeaux,

I had a problem with OmniWeb beta 4.
I weren't able to launch it, I had the startup splash screen, then nothing.

I had reinstalled MacOS X PB and POOF, all worked !!

I think your PB install is corrupted, moreover it's not normal than you can't move anything to the Application Folder...

Hope it helps

Mozilla is one of the worst so-called 'mac' apps on earth!

It looks and behaves like an emulator within an emulator within an emulator. It lives in it's own little world not using native offscreen gworlds, scrollers, controls, text areas, etc. Everything is Mozilla slow-ass crapware masked to appear like it's a native app.

To recap, it's SLOW, BLOATED, and behaves just like the X11 version!

I really really really hate it.

Why are people fawning over AOL-ware? We're going to have iCab (stable in recent OS X builds where keychain is also stable) Opera, and IE 5 which are all excellent browsers. OmniWeb will be too when Apple finishes Internet Config interfaces for Cocoa.

The only app worse than Mozilla is Netscape 4! It doesn't even use Internet Config! PURE CRAPWARE!

(BTW you CSS DHTML JavaScript webmasters can go to hell. Thankfully those web sites with actual content don't use them.)

A public preview of Opera 5 for MacOS 9 has been out. I've sent a few billion suggestions and bug reports to them so it's not exactly prime time. It's the fastest browser however, and the developers want to support keychain and internet config! That alone makes me giddy.

Back