Netscape kills safari bookmark file - recovery hopeless?

AdmiralAK

Simply Daemonic
I tried importing my safari bookmarks into Netscape. Instead of selecting "export" from safari, I opted to import the plist file. Through some weird and unexplained behavior, bookmarks were not imported, and the plist file is 4k (all my bookmarks are gone!)

Anyway to get them back painlessly? Is there some hidden backup made by safari or do I start from square one again?

AdmiralAK said:
I tried importing my safari bookmarks into Netscape. Instead of selecting "export" from safari, I opted to import the plist file. Through some weird and unexplained behavior, bookmarks were not imported, and the plist file is 4k (all my bookmarks are gone!)

Anyway to get them back painlessly? Is there some hidden backup made by safari or do I start from square one again?
When Safari exports bookmarks, it saves them as an .html file. Rename the file Bookmarks.html. Replace the Bookmarks.html file in your Netscape profiles folder with this one.

That is, of course, if you're using Tiger and Safari 2.0... IIRC, Panther's version of Safari (1.3?) doesn't have an "Export Bookmarks" option.

well the person who did this was running Panther with pre 2.0 safari.
She already started making the bookmarks list from scratch.

I said something like 'if only you had installed tiger..." (which she has had for 3 weeks already) ... but I got an angry look :p lol

AdmiralAK said:
well the person who did this was running Panther with pre 2.0 safari.
She already started making the bookmarks list from scratch.

I said something like 'if only you had installed tiger..." (which she has had for 3 weeks already) ... but I got an angry look :p lol

there's nothing wrong with waiting! i've had it since it came out...but i haven't installed it yet. and i'm not really sure when i will. i do know i'd like to get a firewire drive before i do any of that.

Back