Netscape X

yes mozilla makes a statement saying they are not netscape click here to read the statement . But in truth they are building each successive release of netscape. Netscape, er, aol, profits from the development. Notice the page says that it is users & hackers running the program who are doing the real work. Every bug reported to them is their gain at our expense. And while that page denies that mozilla is netscape, click here to see who released mozilla to macupdate.com.
like my specs say in my signiture, i use icab, omniweb and opera whenever i can. I admit there are times i must use netscape or mozilla to get what i need, but these are rare times and only used as a last resort. i know none of the new browsers are up to snuff yet and they never will be so long as the community continues to support the development of mozilla/netscape/aol instead of helping them develop their products. I believe that mozilla started out as a great thing. I think m$ started out as a great thing. Things happen and times change. what once was, is no more.
I know my switching browsers to get optimum results without selling out is a pain sometimes. I wish one of them did it all already. But it is better to me to make this sacrifice now than to help create an environment i do not wish to participate in.

I just downloaded Mozilla... It is much faster than Netscape 6.2. And I don't see anything missing !

Javintosh-- how are you getting Mozilla to disable popup ads? I have looked through the prefs and everything and can't seem to find any options to do this.

...also, Mozilla can filter images out by what server they are coming from, but does anyone know if I can make it match certain parts of a server name (ads.*.*, etc... like Omniweb and iCab do) and if I can even specify specific servers in the preferences to not accept images from? It seems like I can only put a server on my 'don't accept images from' list if I right/option click on an image and choose that option for that image's server.

I tried it again to make sure it still works.

1. Quit Mozilla (otherwise your changes will be lost when you quit Mozilla).
2. Open the following file (the Xs are letter and numbers) in a text editor: /Users/your_username/Library/Mozilla/Profiles/default/XXXXXXXX.slt/prefs.js
3. Add the following line to your prefs.js file: user_pref("dom.disable_open_during_load", true);
4. Launch Mozilla and enjoy! :cool:

Sweeeeet.

Hopefully there will be a little checkbox in the prefs window to toggle this in future versions, rather than having to edit text files! :)

Thanks a lot.

For a checkbox control go here: http://www.xulplanet.com/downloads/view.cgi?category=applications&view=all
click on the Preferences Toolbar and download iit. It should automatically install and then you need to restart Mozilla. If it doesn't appear right away when you restart moz just go View > Show/Hide and select it. It should add a toolbar below the personal toolbar that has many checkboxes that allow you to do many things such as Disable popups, javascript, images, fonts, colours etc. Its pretty cool. Look at what open source development can get you!

googolplex

Ooops!
Sorry guys, I tried the preferences toolbar about a month ago and I guess it has change since then. It appears that now it can't disable popups anymore, at least there is no checkbox to do so anymore. Sorry for the false information. It still does other cool things though and you could get them to be disabled by unchecking the javascript box, but then you couldn't use other javascript stuff.

googolplex

Back