Netware on OSX

twitchg3

I need to be able to hook up to the Netware server here and would be great to hook up to the printer on the Netware network as well. I have Dave installed, but of course, that only works for Windows networks, so I still dont have access to our server drives or to the printer. Does anybody know of anything I can do? Im running OSX 10.1.4 Thanks

Pro Soft Engineering is working on an OS X Novell client. You should see something within a month or so.

The only solution I have found to this problem was to log in to an NT Box on our network. However I can't remember if I was able to access a Novell Volume from the NT box. Since I continue to use MS Outlook for mail and wanted to store a .pst file on one of the servers that got backed up, I wanted to be able to connect to a Novell server by some means other than using the client software on the Mac. As you have probably figured out. You can not use classic to mount a Novell server.

As far as your printing issue is concerned you can use ip for printing if you printer supports it AND it is setup to do so. e.g.:
HP Laserjet 4000
print a test config page
(I think this is the right order but you may want to check to make sure, hit top toggle button on right side once, hit second button twice, when you see "Print Configuration Page", press the select button-last button in row)

check the second printout page for the config settings. You should see a line that reads: "ip: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx , where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. is the unique ip address of your printer. If you don't see the line that contains the ip address go to the setup menu on the hp 4000 and make sure that ip printing is turned on. This is a handy trick i have used at a new location when the printer is not accessible any other way. and it's sooooo easy.

once you have the ip address go the printer utility </applications/utilities/print center
Open it and choose "add printer"
in the drop down at the top of the list choose "LPR printers using ip"
fill in the ip address, select the type of printer or leave it at the default "generic" printer. The click on "add"

Once you are finished you should see your printers ip address show up in the printers you have available.

Hope this helps....
John

Back