Network between Mac and PC

kennethyu

Registered
Hi,
I just bought a powerbook G4. This is infact my first ever Mac. Can anyone give me information on file sharing btw a MAC and a pc?? I tried looking for articles on the web but could not find any useful link.

thanks

cheers, kenneth
:D

This forum is a good place to start. Try searching under 'network' or 'sharing' windows.

I have been trying to network between mac and PC (XP) and PC runing Linux.

XP <-> mac - used DAVE or DOULEBLETALK, no additional setting is needed on the PC to get this going.

On the mac side you need to assigned a IP manually eg. 192.168.0.1 etc.
The documentation come with the SW will explained it all.

Also note that OS S X to Linux is more difficult - you need to be be 'root' and set files in /etc/ eg. host , hostconfig etc and few others to get it networked.

Cherrs,

m :rolleyes:

Wait, you shouldn't need any external software for the Mac and Windows to talk to each other. They both use SMB.

Originally posted by hazmat
Wait, you shouldn't need any external software for the Mac and Windows to talk to each other. They both use SMB.
That's only true if you are using OS X and it only works one-way (Mac to Win). If you want to see make files on the PC you need to install SambaX and run a samba server on the mac. You can find info on how to do that in these forums.

If you are using OS 9 you will need 3rd party software to communicate both ways.

Oh, damn. So the file sharing for OS X is not SMB? Is it just me, or is it silly that it is only one way?

Yes, it is smb, but you need to be running the server on the mac to be able to allow windows to read the mac. PITA, but it works.

Back