Network causing computer hang

Milamber

Registered
I have 10.2.1 and this problem occured in 10.2 as well. However, it did not happen in 10.1.5.

When i am at work I access a apple share file server being run on OSX Server 10.1.5.

When I leave, i sometimes put the machine to sleep and forget to eject the remote drives.

When I get home, i wake up the computer and the whole system goes beachball of death on me till i force a system reboot.

Any ideas? Is there some kind of badly formed timeout setting somwhere I can mess with? It's just rather annoying to have to wait for JAG to restart (which is another thing...jag seems to take 2-3 times as long to start up if you forced the reboot....any ideas on that one?)

Just remember to eject your drives, first of all. Secondly, it is not a beachball of death, just your computer searching desperately for those drives. That's happened to me a lot with my iBook and forgetting to disconnect shared drives from my tower. The beachball will go away, though not very quickly and it will bog your system, but there is no need to restart. Jaguar takes a lot longer to start-up after a forced restart because it has to check all filesystems and repair any faults. If you properly restart or shut-down, this isn't done on the next boot. For proof of this, hold down command-v while booting from a force-reset and during a normal boot, you get to watch all the UNIX stuff go down the screen, and see that the main hangup is while Jag checks and repairs your filesystems.

so by "The beachball will go away, though not very quickly " you mean waiting over an hour isn't enough?

and by "bog down the system" you mean it prevents me from starting any application or doing anything at all in the finder?

hrm... i believe we are having very different experiences here.

Hm.. I leave shared disks mounted all the time when going to sleep with no problems (i never sleep the server though).

After a forced the reboot the system probably runs a fsck to check and repair the boot volume.

That is strange, I've had the beachball totally preventing me form doing anything but usually it only lasted about 5 minutes, no more, so yes this is a bit different. All I can tell you is to remember to disconnect the sharted drives then. And like I said Jag takes longer to boot after a force-reset cuz it has to check and repait your filesystems.

Originally posted by Milamber
so by "The beachball will go away, though not very quickly " you mean waiting over an hour isn't enough?

and by "bog down the system" you mean it prevents me from starting any application or doing anything at all in the finder?

hrm... i believe we are having very different experiences here.

Just last night I had a similar problem. I mounted a machine on my LAN, closed my powerbook (which put it to sleep), walked upstairs and opened my laptop to awaken it.

The beach ball was spinning for about 120 seconds, which was a network time-out, I would imagine.

I was able to launch MS Word before the beach ball started spinning, so at first I thought it was an MS Word problem. Then I noticed my mounted drive was on the desktop...

Milamber, it sounds like you are having another issue... perhaps triggered by the network activity.

The simple work-around has already been suggested.... try to remember to disconnect from anyservers before you put your system to sleep. ;)

Maybe you can write an applescript that will disconnect the networked drives and then put the system to sleep.

I used to have that hangup problem on OS 9 when I worked at a Kinko's. It majorly sucked when you were in the middle of a job you didn't save yet.

I have the exact same problem as Milamber on my iBook 2001 running 10.2.2 and I've had this problem since at least 10.1 if not earlier.

And there is a more serious problem with it. I connect to Windows servers that crash a lot, and have to reboot. Sometimes, it forces me to reboot my Mac because of the beachball of death when the share disappears. This is not acceptable and happens to everyone else at work with a Mac. This is my only gripe with OS X, period.

Back