Network Drive

billyd380

Registered
I have a Powerbook G4 with OSX 10.3.8 on it and everytime I try to connect to a network drive through an alias folder inside the drive it acts like it will connect to the drive but never does. It puts the drive on my desktop but when I try to open it it gives me this message, "{drive name} is used by OSX and cannot be opened". Now when I connect to the drive going through my network it will connect just fine and I can even open the folders on my desktop fine. It just won't work if I haven't connected to the drive first. I have tried to remake the aliases and repair disk permissions with no avail. Can anyone help me with this problem? For now I can use the work around but it would be much nicer to just be able to click on my folders.

I am running a Windows 2003 SP1 server. I also have 2 other macs running OSX 10.3.8 and they are having no problems. I have other folder going to other network drives on the same server and they work fine, it is just this one I am having problems with.

Thanks for any help,

Bill

Ok, here is an update to this problem. It has gotten worse. Now the computer will not connect to any network drive through the finder at all. It will however connect throught a program. For example if you open Excel and go to File>Open>Network then follow the path to the network drive and log in, it will work fine. I have a feeling that a file I have on that drive corrupted the Finder some how. I am also having similar problems on another mac that useses this file, but not as bad. My 3rd mac has never used the file and it works fine.

The file is an excel spreadsheet created on a windows machine and shared so more than one person can open and change at the same time.

I hope some one can help me with this. I am going to format one of the macs to see if this fixes my problem and if doesn't I don't know what else to try.

Thanks for your help,

Bill

Back