network - is this possible?

elv1s

Registered
hi,
I have a g4 PowerBook with 10.1.5 which is connected to a 11meg wireless network via an airport card using DHCP, so there is already 1 router in this equation.
I also have an old g3(white) desktop Mac which has 10.1.5 but I run 9.2 on it. What I'd like to do is connect it to the web, the problem is I can't install an airport card (or can I?).
Is it possible to connect it to the 11meg network in the building via my laptop? Or does anyone have another solution.

thanks
Ed.

It should be possible to do a direct cable connection between the two machines, the you have to make a gateway from the laptop but under osx it ain't that hard.

so how do I do that? I have an ethernet cable conecting them, what do I have to do in osx to make it work.

I believe certain 3rd party PCI wireless cards are Airport compatable. I can't recall which ones off the top of my head, but perhaps a google search for this could help you out.

I don't think it's possible to put any airport type card in a G3 (white) as there is no antenna. correct me if I'm wrong as that would be the perfect solution.

ed.

Certain PCI wireless card do work in Macs. They have their own antenna that sticks out of the back of the machine. Most however are not OS X compatible. Another option would be USB wireless adapters.

Back