NetWork Missing in Finder

webMechanic

Registered
I have a home network running 3 PC's(with XP) and 2 Macs (with Tiger OS X 10.4.8). Mysteriously one of my Macs(MacMini) refuses to show a Network icon in the Finder sidebar? I have used the Go > Network menu to try to get a Network icon, but this does work.

Yesterday I did a scheduled Mac OS system update, and it seems that since then I have not been able to see/get a Network icon in my Finder.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

PS - I am able to use the old 'GO > Connect to Computer' method, then type in the smb://myOfficePc, and access shared files on other PCs on the network. So networking is configured properly on this MacMini.

thanks for any help/ideas

FYI, a search of "Sidebar Icons" in your Mac's help files brings up some docs that tell you how to add icons to the sidebar. In the future, it'd be faster for you to search that first..

Finder -> Preferences will get you to a window where you can add icons to the sidebar.

picture2it2.png

Another question of Eric - can you tell me what tool you used for the partial screen capture that you included in your post?

Seems to me that it is very effective in communicating computer problems.

Thanks

I was going nuts trying to retrieve my missing NETWORK icon and you question and susaquent threads gave me the answer. Thanks

FYI, a search of "Sidebar Icons" in your Mac's help files brings up some docs that tell you how to add icons to the sidebar. In the future, it'd be faster for you to search that first..

Finder -> Preferences will get you to a window where you can add icons to the sidebar.

picture2it2.png
I was going nuts trying to retrieve my missing NETWORK icon and your thread gave me the answer. Thanks

Another question of Eric - can you tell me what tool you used for the partial screen capture that you included in your post?

Seems to me that it is very effective in communicating computer problems.

Thanks

Simply use the grap utility, under utilities (command+shit+u).
GrabImage.tiff

Last edited:
Back