Network Music Players?

granthac

Registered
So I am doing research for my mom who is stumped on what to get my Dad for Christmas. Since he is fairly styled out Mac wise, not to mention a total music freak, I thought a good gift would be to get him a network music player. His computer is in the attic with all his music, but the stereo is in the dining room, where all the entertaining is done. They have a wireless internet connection, will this type of thing work? Does anyone have any recommendations for what brand? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also if these things are worthless, I am open to any other ideas in this realm of gift giving. Thanks!!
-Chris

Get an Airport Express. This plugs directly into the stereo. Then itunes (on your Dad's Mac) can stream music wirelessly to the stereo. I have this; it works very well.

I have a Airport Express too, the thing is the computer is not in the same room. Its a bit of a pain if every time he wanted to change the music, he has to run to the attic. Thanks though.

if you have a computer plugged into the sterio you can network itunes for free so if your dad has a laptop plug it into the sterio
and in the attic open itunes > iTunes > Prefrences > Sharing > click share entire libary and enter desired name.
and downstairs the laptop should pickup the shared playlist and it will be in the left < hand side along with the playlists.
You could buy your dad a powerbook or an ibbok if he hasent got one.

granthac said:
I have a Airport Express too, the thing is the computer is not in the same room. Its a bit of a pain if every time he wanted to change the music, he has to run to the attic. Thanks though.

In that case, you might look into the Keyspan remote. I don't have this (because I have Tivo, so I use Audiofaucet, which also has a nice interface on the TV screen), but I've heard it is a nice way of operating itunes remotely.

He really doesn't need a Laptop right now, and it is a bit out of my price range, thanks for the adivice though. Matt- I looked into the keyspan remote, which is a great idea, but it looks like you need to have line of sight to the remote base. I am looking into the Roku soundbridge. Does anyone have any thought on these?

granthac said:
Matt- I looked into the keyspan remote, which is a great idea, but it looks like you need to have line of sight to the remote base. I am looking into the Roku soundbridge. Does anyone have any thought on these?

OK, good luck. I looked into the Roku soundbridge myself, but as I remember it doesn't play any music you actually buy at the itunes store (because of Apple's DRM), which was a deal-breaker for me.

[Also--FWIW, why is line of sight a problem? You plug this into the Airport Express, not the computer. Won't the express be right next to the stereo?

Update: Oh, I see. There are two different models; one does not plug into the Express.]

Back