network printer prints jibberish

buttsco

Registered
my new G5 with Tiger is hooked up to a PC network printer. When I print a page the printer responds but prints jibberish and it doesn't seem to want to stop despite my stopping all printing in the print utility. Any ideas? Thanks.

You network printer has a manufacturer, model number, a network protocol, and a page control language. Do you have a clue as to what these might be?

We're trying to drag out of you - why do you call it a PC network printer? Is it connected by USB to a PC and shared? or is it the 2100n model and it is connected by ethernet? Which comm protocol have you tried using to ADD the printer in Printer Setup Utility? Is it connected by ethernet directly from Mac to printer?

the HP Laserjet 2100 is connected to a pc, which is part of a pc network. There is no USB. I can press print on my G5 and the printer starts up but it prints jibberish.The G5 is connected to the network via ethernet but is not connected to the printer via ethernet.

The HP LJ 2100 driver on the Mac is a postscript driver. The most commonly-used driver on the PC is PCL (HP's page description language). This difference in drivers can cause the symptom you describe, if you are trying to print to the shared printer.
One solution, change to the postscript driver on the PC.

Back