Network problems with new machine

pix_consulting

Registered
Hello everybody,
We have just switch from a G4/OS 9 configuration (5 computers) to a G5/OS X (5 also)...
We are working with softs as Quark, Photoshop, etc...we did also change for new version of software... (Quark 6.5, Suite CS, etc...)
Our work is very slow now due to difficulty of access to our working files on our own network (NT server)...
Before, choosing a file on server (for import) through typing fisrt symbole of file name was done immediatly (less than time necessary for typing)..., but now it takes minutes and minutes....

Do you have explaination ?? A clue : Activity Monitor is NOT working at all on the 5 machines (3 G5 bi-pro, 2 iMac)....

Thanks - Pix

Just "nothing", app mount in Dock for few seconds, and disappear... on all machines, Never see that before .... any clue on your side ??
Thanks in advance
Pix

Tell us more about your server. Maybe it's not interacting correctly with your G5's. Are you using Appletalk or TCP/IP?

Ah HA! I've heard (and seen on other forums on this site) that AppleTalk doesn't hold a candle to TCP/IP with regard to speed. I'll bet that's why you're having the slowdown.

You should connect to your server via TCP/IP if you can.

We 'v also 5 G4 on OS 10.3.9 and we have exactly the same problem that you with a Windows 2000 server SP4 via TCP/IP (fixed adresses).
Sorry, I 'm asking too.

pix_consulting said:
Hello everybody,
We have just switch from a G4/OS 9 configuration (5 computers) to a G5/OS X (5 also)...
We are working with softs as Quark, Photoshop, etc...we did also change for new version of software... (Quark 6.5, Suite CS, etc...)
Our work is very slow now due to difficulty of access to our working files on our own network (NT server)...
Before, choosing a file on server (for import) through typing fisrt symbole of file name was done immediatly (less than time necessary for typing)..., but now it takes minutes and minutes....

Do you have explaination ?? A clue : Activity Monitor is NOT working at all on the 5 machines (3 G5 bi-pro, 2 iMac)....

Thanks - Pix

I just did the same type of install, 5 G5's, internal network behind a firewall, kept the older G4's and upgraded them to OSX 10.3.9, full upgrade. I have 26 devices on this network and it should be very fast. The PC's are fast but the Mac's are not. When they connect to the 2003 Server using AFP, its really slow. But when you connect ot the server using SMB the system reacts very fast with no drop-offs. A major problem is that all the mac files on the server have to be renames to include extensions, and that's thousands of files. When you use APF to connect, they don't have to be renamed. Try connecting to your server through SMB.

Back