Network problems

tg_barros

Registered
I have a mac with os 8 instaled, and a new imac G5.
I'm trying to put the two macs on a home network.
I have a switch and the two macs are connected to the switch,
but they can't communicate between them.
Not even ping.
Is there somekind of imcompatibility between mac os 8 an mac 0s 10.4.4?

Until you give it a valid IP address, OS X thinks ethernet isn't working. Set both computers up with manual IP addresses in the local-only ranges (use 192.168.5.5 and 192.168.5.6). Now, connect from OS 8 using the Chooser - enter server's IP address. Don't bother with appletalk - Tiger can't use appletalk for file sharing.

the mac os8 and the mac os X are with manual IP addresses and in the same range Mac os 8 (192.168.1.3) and the Mac os X (192.168.0.2).
But they can't communicate with each other.

idesign said:
I could be wrong, but I think the first 3 sets need to be the same. Change 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.1.2

That depends on the subnet mask. If he set the subnet mask to 255.255.x.x, then it should work. However, if he set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.x, then they won't communicate. The would have to have the same numbers in the first 3 octets of their IP addresses before they could talk to one another.

And since it's a class 3 IP address, it would have to use the 255.255.255.x subnet mask theoretically, but application is another story. ;)

Make sure you boot up the G5 first some older macs needed to see a connection before enabling ethernet also are you using a crossover cable and not a straight through cable. Although this shouldnt be a problem as the G5 should auto detect signals but may be worth trying.

Since both are connected to a switch, there's no need bothering about crossover cabling. You just use normal cables. And even if you'd connect the computers directly with a cable, you wouldn't need a crossover, since at least the iMac's Ethernet port is auto-sensing (meaning it's do the crossover by itself).

the mac os 8 have the ip (192.168.1.3) and the mac os X (192.168.1.2) the subnetmask of the two are 255.255.255.0.
I don´t know how to resolve the problem.
They can't communicate with each other.

The IP addresses sound right. Now, for another troubleshooting step:
On OS X, start the Terminal (in Applications/Utilities). Type this:
ping 192.168.1.3 [RETURN]

You should get repeating feedback saying if it is successful, or an error. Stop the repeats with Control-c.

By the way, you did try connecting from OS 8 in the Chooser > AppleShare icon? To connect to OS X, you must "enter Server IP address" - near the bottom of the right half of the dialog window.

Back