Network Service Order Causing Conflict with Private DNS on Local Network

dbelldc

Registered
I'm currently working on deploying a Snow Leopard Server-based setup for a university student-run television station, using a Mac mini Server. Because our university's own networking infrastructure is somewhat wonky and restrictive, I have recently networked our station's six other computers and the Mac mini Server together through wired Ethernet, using an AirPort Base Station as a router along with some D-Link Ethernet switches.

As a result, our computers are networked together on their own network completely independently from our university's network, but because this wired network has no internet access, all of our computers connect to our university's wi-fi network over AirPort for internet access.

I've set up Snow Leopard Server with a private DNS name "atvserver.private" and am intending to use this server internally for file sharing, directory services, and Wiki Server (and possibly Podcast Server). However, because of the service order in Network Preferences, if our client computers are set to give AirPort priority, then they can connect to the internet, but cannot connect to the server's private DNS. On the other hand, if our client computers are set to give Ethernet priority, they can connect to the server, but lose their internet connection.

The only solutions that I can think of are:
1) Bridge the university's internet connection on our private wired network (but the university will not allow us to do this because it violates their security policies), or
2) Come up with some way to bypass the networking service order so that "atvserver.private" goes to the Ethernet network, while everything else goes to the public internet over AirPort.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

My problem is similar;

Two machines, one windows 7 and one mac mini with OSX 10.7.3.
Both connected through Ethernet to a Sitecom router.
Mac has Inet access through Wifi

When I put Ethernet up front and add a router IP-address, I lose Inet connection on my mac.
When I remove the router IP-address, I get Inet back, and can still browse to my PC and access the shares on it, (This may be the solution for you, dbelldc.) but when I try teamviewer to connect to my PC over LAN, it connects, but I don't get the remote screen.
Looking in the teamviewer log, it turns out that somehow, without the router IP given in the Mac's Ethernet settings, Teamviewer on the PC doesn't know what IP-address is calling, It lists as 0.0.0.0.
Now, just entering for instance the IP-adres of the PC in the router field on the Mac's ethernet settings, will allow me to use Teamviewer over LAn, but then I lose my Inet connection...

Should be possible to have both... right?
But how??

Will

p.s. It has to be THIS setup: Mac and PC both connected via LAN over router/switch because both machines need to be able to use the network printer that is connected to the router/switch as well. Therefor I can't simply connect PC and mac with a LAN cable...

Back