Network settings & Broadband

Nikil

Registered
Help !

I guess I have a couple of questions...
I've recently, after much hassle- managed to get my broadband connection up and running in my new house. It's working...but is a bit delayed and sometimes cuts out. I keep getting the 'Internet Connect' logo popping up telling me 'an incorrect PPP option has been set. Please verify settings and try again' (I'm not sure what this means although I think my broadband has a PPoE setting...??!). When I try and go to my Network Settings to see if I can understand what needs to be changed - I get a pop-up telling me 'your network settings have been changed by another application'. I can't get rid of the pop-up and can't adjust anything on my network settings as a consequence. It's driving me mad !

I have a MacBook OS x 10.4.11 and am using an Airport Express for my broadband.

Any help would be very much appreciated !

I get a pop-up telling me 'your network settings have been changed by another application'. I can't get rid of the pop-up and can't adjust anything on my network settings as a consequence. It's driving me mad !

That's something that was caused by an update with 10.4.11 and you've probably had the problem for a while but most folks don't notice until they need to get into System preferences/network to change something.

First you have to force quit system preferences if it is still popping up with that error by doing a command+option+esc. Go to library/preferences/SystemConfiguration. There should be anywhere from 3-5 .plist files in that folder. Take the ones that specifically deal with network settings, or all of them if you're not sure and drag those to the desktop. After you copy the originals to the desktop, take the originals from the library/preferences/SystemConfiguration folder and dump those in the trash. you'll probably be prompted for the admin password to do this. Empty the trash, restart and then go to network preferences and it will be a clean slate without the annoying message. Then just reconifigure their network settings. As far as the .plist files you copied to the desktop, just trash those now since the reboot created new files for you. You just had to drag the originals to the desktop to be able to delete them.

That's something that was caused by an update with 10.4.11 and you've probably had the problem for a while but most folks don't notice until they need to get into System preferences/network to change something.

First you have to force quit system preferences if it is still popping up with that error by doing a command+option+esc. Go to library/preferences/SystemConfiguration. There should be anywhere from 3-5 .plist files in that folder. Take the ones that specifically deal with network settings, or all of them if you're not sure and drag those to the desktop. After you copy the originals to the desktop, take the originals from the library/preferences/SystemConfiguration folder and dump those in the trash. you'll probably be prompted for the admin password to do this. Empty the trash, restart and then go to network preferences and it will be a clean slate without the annoying message. Then just reconifigure their network settings. As far as the .plist files you copied to the desktop, just trash those now since the reboot created new files for you. You just had to drag the originals to the desktop to be able to delete them.
Thanks so much for your response ! I can't find a 'systemConfiguration' folder under library/ preferences....not sure why?? any ideas? :-(

Cheers !

Thanks so much for your response ! I can't find a 'systemConfiguration' folder under library/ preferences....not sure why?? any ideas? :-(

Its not the library under your user folder. Its the library under the root of the HD as in /library/preferences/SystemConfiguration.

Back