Network slow on iMac

alucard

Registered
I have my iMac connected to a few PC's on my home network using my netgear DSL router (its a 10/100 switch as well). I connected to one of my pc's using Flash FXP to download about 1.6 GB of data. i used a crossover cable. i was getting over 1MB download a sec. now, when i connect to the PC using the iMac with the format smb://etc, etc i only tansfer from the PC to the iMac at about 100k a sec. I also tried a crossover cable, PC to iMac. Same results. for a file transfer that took 18 minutes with the PC's its taking almost an hour for the iMac. does anyone kow if i am doing anything wrong or is it because of the different architectures? am i able to tweak the network card to make sure it gets a full 100mbps connection? On my switch it says it is connected with 100mbps. Any help is appreciated. thanx :)

I had the same problem, but I connected the pc and mac together directly via Cat 5 cable .... Kinda wierd, I thought it was just some stupid seting somewhere...

Same issues..
I had a great little network under 9.2 with Win 98SE (and DAVE or PC MacLAN), connection Sharing and no speed issues at all. (Both machines could see each other, even simultaneously!!!)
Upgrading the PC to Win XP stopped all file sharing (even with DAVE or PC MacLAN), but internet sharing continued.

I thought upgrading to OS X would solve my file sharing problems, but only partially.

With the PC as server, GETTING files FROM the PC is fine.
BUT...
PUTTING files TO the PC is really slooow.

I'm hoping if I can ever get things to work that using the MAC as server, the network might be faster at least from Mac TO PC. but hopefully for both ways.

Problem is, I can see the Mac from the PC (Via PC MacLAN), but cant log in..."Unknown Appletalk Error"

I have also installed Samba X (included with OS X 10.2) and Samba Server Config Tool, but the PC cant see the Mac... I obviously havent set up Samba properly yet..

Anyone more tech savvy than me ( especially in OS X) Pleeeaaassssee have a go for the sanity of all of us...

Back