network transition problems

smquaseb

Registered
I access wireless internet from both home and campus. Everything has been working great until just recently. Now when I am connected using my wireless router at home I cannot access certain websites because "it cannot find the server" and I cannot even access iTunes Music Store. Even little images on my Yahoo Homepage will not load. But everything else is working.

I do not understand what is wrong. I have tried many things including deleting all my internet locations in my system preferences and starting over. But nothing is working.

I really do not think it is a problem with the ISP we are using through our apt complex (I do not know the name of the provider) especially since I did not experience problems for over a year. Also, my husband's PC is also connected to the router and he has no problems accessing anything.

Anybody know what is going on??

Do you have the same issues when you are connected over your campus wireless network?
And maybe you should specify your Mac and your operating system. Any ideas what changed recently that might have caused your problems with accessing certain internet sites?
Last but not least, welcome to the forum.

Yes, I have a thought.

Your computer is retaining invalid DNS information from one network to another. Be sure that your airport card is set on 'dhcp' (unless you like configuring these things manually).

If the PC is working, find out what DNS servers it is using (usually hidden somewhere in the Network control panel under tcp/ip properties for the given network interface). Now try using that DNS server on your mac. If you need more in terms of directions, myself or someone here will assist.

I am on a laptop G4 and I am using 10.3.8 operating system. I have the preference settings on DCHP and I turned it off and back on several times to see if they would reset in any way. I do not have any of the same problems on campus that I do at home. Thank you all for the advice I will definitely try them out once I get back home tonight. And thank you for the warm welcome! The only thing I can think of that could be a problem is maybe my router getting reset when we had to turn it off during a thunderstorm and I recenlty upgraded my operating system so I dunno. I will keep you posted as I try out the things you suggested! Thanks. :)

Yeah, routers can be an issue.

So does this problem plague any other computers at home on your network?

No, the problem is just contained to my ibook. Everything works fine on the PC desktop and also my husband's dell laptop which are both also connected to the internet via the wireless router. I have never had problems before with it so.....

Ok,

lets make sure your mac and pc are using the same dns servers. "Cannot find the server" or similar errors generally mean dns is failing.

Go to the start menu, select "run", and type "cmd" then press enter. Now type the command, "ipconfig /all" and press enter. You'll see a lot of information like this:
http://www.computer-networking-tools.com/images/ipconfig screenshot.jpg

There should be a few things listed as DNS Servers. Write these down. There may be as many as three different addresses here.

Now go over to your mac. Open up the Terminal (which is located in the Utilities folder, located in the Applications folder). Type the following command:
cat /etc/resolv.conf
and press enter.

These numbers should match the ones on your pc. I'm guessing they don't. Let me know what happens, and we'll go from there :).

Back