Network troubles pointing to me!!!!

mattrstewart

Registered
I have a G4 powerbook in my office
the rest of office (4 people) use custom build PC's.

we have a router, a DSL modem, and a ____

The network has been really slow when sending emails with attachments since a big earthquake a while back. The ISP (PCCW) is saying the problem is a specific IP address that has a virus that is causing emails to continuously be sent with attachments...which is what is causing the network to be bogged down.

They say this is happening because it MUST be a virus on the computer attached to the IP address. But its my powerbook that gets attached to this IP address, and I am 100% sure its not a virus. Not to mention that half the time the laptop is not here, or not turned on.

The emails are sent very fast if i connect to my home ISP, which is same ISP as office.

What could it be?
How can i solve this?
How can i scan my network for any activity, and specify exactly what program is making the activity?

The technician who knows nothing about non-PC's is on his way here to inspect my computer...and he is going to take 15 mins to even figure out why Safari doesn't take him through africa...let alone figure out where to look for problems with the network.

I think you need to explain your network to us a little better. Do you mean your office doesn't have a firewall/router and the IP address your mac has is a WAN/internet address given directly from the ISP?

And at home you also have no firewall? Do you at least have the firewall on your Mac On, and have services like Apple remote desktop and remote login turned off?

we have a NetDSL modem connected to a Linksys Wireless-G router, connected to a NetScreen firewall, connected to a generic Ethernet HUB

does that help?

Well on you network do these steps:

1. On your Mac reset your Pram.

2. Turn off the power to all you computers then the power to the router and lastly to your cable modem.

3. First turn on the modem and let it power up. Then once that powers up turn one the router then one computer on at a time.

4. Turn on the computers but DON"T log into them. Watch the modem data light after you turn on each computer. If the Data light on the modem starts going wild after you turn on each computer then that computer is the source.

Also have you run anti-virus and kept it up to date on the PC's? I would bet one of the PC's have been owned and is being used by a hacker/spammer.

we have a NetDSL modem connected to a Linksys Wireless-G router, connected to a NetScreen firewall, connected to a generic Ethernet HUB

does that help?

Does all computers on the network has this slowdown or only your powerbook. If only 1 computer is turned on, is the network also slow. If the network slow for other activities (like filesharing, surfing etc.), or only for sending mail.

I expect a network card, bad cable or the router is causing the problem.

Good luck, Kees

Back