Networkin': Mac Mini and PC - will it work?

JonKemerer

Registered
Hiya:

I felt the need to splurge today, and bought a D-Link DI-604 Ethernet Broadband Router. I dunno why I did, but I did, and nonethless I'd like to make it work ;)

I have a Mac Mini (Running OSX 10.4) and a Windows PC (Running Windows XP SP2). I'd like to share files between them, share my printer and scanner (hooked up to my Windows PC), and be able to access the net w/ my cable modem. Obviously I already have a Cable modem, and I have the proper network cards for both. I think I'm good on how to wire them up... I'll figure it out anyway...

Anyway, my question is, with the aforementioned equipment and nothing more than Cat5 cable am I able to achieve this, or should I choke the CompUSA chimp that sold it to me? In case you're wondering, I didn't unwrap the unit yet and read the manual... I want to make sure it works or back it goes.

Another Question....

How secure are these things? These routers I mean. It says it has a Firewall built into it,... is that enough?

Thanks very much in advance.

- Jon K.

1.) Yes you can setup a network. Connect both computers to the router. Go to the network setup wizard and follow the steps (on the PC).

2.) Restart PC and Mac. On the Mac, in the Finder menu click "Go" and then "Connect to server...". Type "smb://pcname" (without quotes, and replace pcname with the name of the PC). It will ask you for username and password for the PC, if there is no password just click OK.

If you need any help, just post back.
P.S. - If you have like a DSL Modem or Cable modem, connect that to the router too. This should give both computers internet. (It's also nice too because it will make the cable company think you only have one computer, because it only shows one 'face' to your ISP.)

I've had no problem networking my Mac and Windows PC. If you've already networked more than one PC to share files, your Windows box should work without modification. To put or get files from your Mac, you will have to enable PC sharing in System Preferences. If you know the Mac's IP address, you can also connect to it using any explorer window. I think D-Link allocates IP addresses dynamically starting with 192.168.1.100, 192.168.1.101,... 192.168.1.150. Remember that in Windows, the backslash is used to demarcate network names and addresses, while in Mac (*nix) the forward slash is used (Windows: \, Mac: /).

Given how legendarily difficult it was to network Macs and Windows PCs in the old days, I am absolutely astonished how simple it is today. I would even say that it is easier now to share between Mac and PC than it is to share between two PCs (in particular, there are lots of times that I am prompted for a password to access a computer, but unable to change the username -- effectively preventing me from easily connecting, even when I am logged in as an administrator). Oh, how THAT worm has turned.

I always seem to have tons more trouble trying to network two stupid PCs. However, Mac and PCs are fine on a network... :eek:

JonKemerer said:
Anyway, my question is, with the aforementioned equipment and nothing more than Cat5 cable am I able to achieve this ....

What you want to do is totally doable. It might all work "out of the box." But, don't be surprised if you have some problems. Just post back.

(1) Turn all computer firewalls off, and turn the router firewall on.
(2) Printing to a printer connect to a PC sometimes can be challenging, depending on the obvious sorts of things--make, model, have the needed driver, etc.
(3) File sharing also sometimes poses challenges. The basic things are: (a) enable Windows sharing on your Mac, (b) share a folder on you PC--preferably "My Documents," and use all the usual PC techniques for getting a network going--i.e., the wizard already mention and "Adding a Network Place" (and there are other possibilities). I connect to our PCs by click my home folder in the dock, clicking network, eventually choosing the machine I want to connect to, double clicking the machine, and entering my iBook username and password if asked.
(4) Use the Directory Access utility on your Mac to make sure the SMB/CIFS box is checked. After doing so, it sometimes helps, and can't hurt, to double click on the SMB/CIFS line and make sure your Mac and PC are in the same workgroup.
(5) I don't know how hard it will be for you to share the scanner as I have never done so.

How secure are these things? These routers I mean. It says it has a Firewall built into it,... is that enough?

Yes. One can beef up by adding software, but doing so seldomly would be necessary for the average user.

Back