Networking 2 macs and 1 Cable modem

rickd1010

Registered
Hey all! Why is it that the only time i seem to be able to get on here is when I need something????? OK - anyway, what i am trying to do is network 2 macs, both running OSX 10.2.8 to a single cable modem so that we can both share the speed. I am looking to find the easiest and most cost effective way to get the job done. I am guessing the an ethernet router of some type is going to be necessary, so i guess I should be looking for sometihing around $100. I have heard that what I need is an IP Net router - is that correct? Will I need to do any software changes or can I get it configured through the OS software? Any input here would be greatly appreciated!

Thnx,
Rick

For "around $100", I'd recommend getting the "old" Airport Extreme from the Apple Refurbished site, for $99. Setup is a breeze, because it's made by Apple. It has a USB port for sharing a printer off the network. If you want to have a wired network, you may need to invest in a $10 ethernet switch.

Of course, all you really need is a router. I assume you're not interested in wireless, so you just need a router with a wired switch. You can get something like this for $40 - here's an example:
http://www.compusa.com/products/pro...Cable_DSL_Router_With_4_10_100_Switched_Ports

The easiest way is to get a cheap router, and use the router to share the connection. You also get the advantage of being able to share files as well.
Thanks

Back