Networking 2 Macs

jobsen_ski

Daily Player
Hiya, I'm not very good with networking and I'm trying to find a solution to a problem, I'm tryiong to get all of my documents off, or copied from one computer to another, I have an emac and I need to get all of my documents from it onto another computer a G3 iMac now theyre in different places - one is in school(emac) the other at home(imac). The emac in school doesn't have a CD-R drive so I can't do it that way.

So I was wondering, the school has many iBooks which I can borrow, can i connect the iBook to the eMac and transfer all of my docs to that and then go home with my ibook and connect it to my imac and transfer all the info again to it? I was thinking that this was possible using an ethernet cable? All of the computers have this (I belive the ibooks are G3's (flavours) and G3's (white), however there may be some G4's not sure) anyway, would this be possible and if so how easy would it be? , the ibooks are still runing OS 9, the emac can run OS 9 and 10.2 and the imac in the house can also run either 9.2 or 10.2!

As I say I'm not very good with this type of thing so is it quite easy? (if at all posible?)

anyone tried this ?

P.S. if the fact the ibok is runing OS 9.2 is a problem then it could be upgraded to OS 10.2 we have the disks in school (but most macs are still running 9 so we havent upgraded them yet)

Easiest way: Get a firewire cable, connect the two computers and start the iBook with Apple-T held down. This will start the iBook as an external harddisk. You can now put the stuff from the emac on the iBook. Do the same at home (hopefully the G3 iMac has FW, too?)

ye the imac g3 has fire wire too. so how does that work would the ibook just appear kind of link an external HD? and i take it when i unplugged it the ibook goes back to normal? no data lost or anything? and does this require os x(on all comps)? thanx again

The iBook in 'Target Mode' (Apple-T) acts like an external FW harddrive. After you've copied your stuff, you unmount it (drag to Trash) and reboot it - it goes back to normal.

This is a hardware feature and does not depend on whether there even _is_ installed an OS. Basically, you could empty an old iBook and keep it as an expensive external harddrive with screen. ;-)

Back