Networking a mac and a PC on a BEFW11S4

wirercx

Registered
Hi,

I have a currently working windows network with a Linksys BEFW11S4.

I have a Powerbook G4 with the newest Tiger in it.

So my question is, How do I network the G4 into my linksys so I can get internet on it? Because right now, it says that it is connected and everything, but it has no internet. :mad:

I have tried about every other websource there is.
Thanks,
wirercx

For me I always have to restart after changing network settings. Is internet provided by a cable modem, etc...? If so, unplug it from power, wait about a minute, and plug it back in. Restart the Mac.

Have you already configured the wireless section on the Linksys itself? Make sure that you have the wireless options enabled. Also, to test only, leave it wide open just to make sure that the PowerBook is actually associating to the AP on the Linksys and once you know it's actually associated then secure the wifi network. You might also want to enable the DHCP options so that the PowerBook will automatically pick up an IP address once it's associated. Be sure to include all the information in the router for the DHCP clients such as subnet mask, gateway, and DNS nameservers.

Also be sure to set the PowerBook for DHCP so that it will pick up an address.

Mind you, this is assuming that you have an Airport card inside your PowerBook, or some sort of WiFi card in your PC card slot. Otherwise, you're going to have to use Ethernet.

what I am typing to you on is a Dell XPS laptop with a a/b/g card in it.

I have set the linksys up totally and configured with DHCP. So, therotically, it should work.

Oh and one more thing. It says that it is connected and internet is working. So, it should work but the internet doesn't work!

ok thanks.

what I am typing to you on is a Dell XPS laptop with a a/b/g card in it.

I have set the linksys up totally and configured with DHCP. So, therotically, it should work.

Oh and one more thing. It says that it is connected and internet is working. So, it should work but the internet doesn't work!

ok thanks.

OK, are you using some sort of security on the wifi connection?? If so, make sure you have that also set up on the Mac (be it WEP, WPA, or whatever, as well as the SSID if the linksys is not broadcasting it). If this is not set, it might associate, but not authenticate.

Also....do you have your PowerBook set up for DHCP? Is the Linksys also supplying the DNS nameserver addresses?

Be sure to also post the results of the command that lurk suggested.

problem solved, I just used a linksys Wpc11 ( or something like that), a pc card, and some drivers.

Thanks so much for all your guys's help!

Back