Networking a XP PC to a iBook G4 OSX via LAN

blairnichols

Registered
Thanks for reading my post, please take time to help me.

I bought a mac today and have found out already that it fits into my life perfectly and will do what i need it to do better than my P.C.
My only problem is that I need to network it to my P.C to share my library of picture files - over 200GB!! And to share my internet connection. So I would like to establish a network. I have tried all day to no success, so have tried many forums and made numerous phonecalls.
Judging by the previous posts on his site I have finnaly found somewhere that has some users with some serious knoledge.

So can anybody please help?? I need a step by step guide to setting up a network that will allow me to share files both ways and allow me to shre a internet connection. PLEASE HELP. I would like to know if it can be done without any third party software. well I need to know everything. Thanks.

There are a couple of pieces of info needed to suggest a solution

1) What sort of network do you have existing?
2) Is the iBook sitting in close proximity to the PC?
3) How is the PC configured to connect to the internet (dial-up, broadband, etc..)

Let us know how your configured and I am sure we can help you get it sorted.

Jason

I have a cable connecting the two computers together. RJ35????
The cable is 14 feet however the mac is barely 2 feet away from the p.c.
The P.C uses broadband via a usb modem.

Thanks for the help.

I am able to establish a network now.... however.

I can ping each machine both ways.
I can share my internet connection.
I can get my mac files up on my P.C.

BUT I AM STILL UNABLE TO VIEW OR ACCESS MY P.C FILES FROM MY MAC!!!!!
AGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

Sorry of this sounds obvious, but is file sharing established on the PC? Specifically on the folders that have the files you want to access?

I have had mixed luck with data stored on a PC being accesible from OS X. if you browse to the network on the Mac, do you see the PC at all? In my own troubleshooting, someone advised turning the sharing off and then back on again on the PC.

Hope that helps
Jason

no i am not able to see the computer at all.

someone in another forum said i would have to use "connect to server"???
hows that work and what do i type.

all norton firewalls are off - what other firewalls would there be??
how and where do I turn them off.

also where would i turn file sharing on.

Thanks again folks!!

My word I am starting to prefer Macs!!!!!! never thought i would say that

On the PC, right click on the folder you want to share and select "Sharing and Security..." and then choose to share folder to all users.

on the mac where and what do I do to see the p.c???

Do i need to "connect to server" first???

if so what do i type??

Thanks again!!

In Finder, open 'Network' and you should be able to browse to it. Or, while in finder, type 'Apple' + 'K' to bring up the 'Connect to Server' dialog.

Keep in mind, I am another recent-to-Mac user, so there may be better ways to do this, this is just what I have recently learned. :)

I am unable to browse to it or see it anywhere on the mac

what do i type in the connect to server box???

also one of my apple buttons seems to be stuck on but i have removed the top plastic part and it seems to look fine, anyone had the same problem????
any advise.

Sorry, I can't help on the stuck key.

Again, while in finder, type 'Apple' + 'K' to bring up the 'Connect to Server' dialog. Enter the IP of the PC and see if that works... if not, I'm stumped on the Mac side...

woo hoo all fixed

Just went and bought maclan problem solved. much easier to use.
easy to set up. but does take a while to refresh.

go buy it!!

Maclan is actually for the macos <10.0 systems. Everything since macosx should work without maclan. Did you try what G4Grover told you about Apple+K? This should work.

tRied apple and k but didnt work. Was battin my head againt a wall. grr if anyone has any ideas what could be stoppin it from workin let me know as i would prefer not to have to use another piece of software!

Ok, I didn't read the whole thread yet, but here some points:
1. can you ping the computers?
2. did you correctly share the folder?
3. If you are using a router, do you see the computer listed in the webinterface of the router?
4. did you try smb://ip.of.the.comp instead of smb://nameofthecomp?
5. do you have any third system to test?
6. uhmmm, no ideas for now. Reply on each of the questions and I am sure I will find some more steps. ;)

Back