Networking home computers

Dina864

Registered
We have 2 computers at home, my iMac running leopard and my husband's Gateway running ME. The pc is plugged directly into the modem/router. My Mac uses airport. We've never been able to be on the net at the same time. We have to unplug the (PC) ethernet cable from the router and plug in the other end of the mac cable (from the router) to the modem for the mac to be wireless. Two months ago we switched our phone service to Charter. Now my Mac will not stay connected for more than a few minutes. I have to unplug the power cable from the router for a minute to get it to even find the network again but it still doesn't stay connected but a few minutes at a time. The biggest change we can think of is now we are also going through a phone modem as well. If the phone rings while I'm on the mac, I lose my connection almost instantly.

Before we got the phone modem my husband had manually set the MAC address of the host computer to "spoof" the router so there would be no conflict of MAC addresses between the two.
Only things we can think of now is
1. we are now conflicting with the phone and the actual phone modem from Charter.
2. We have a splitter on the phone so maybe the signal is not strong enough now
3. Charter is not configured properly
4. Possibly a bad router.

We are using a Netgear 54 mb Wireless router and a Motorola SB5101 Surfboard Cable Modem

Anybody have any ideas. Thank you.

The DSL filters need to be on every phone - have you done that? And before any splitter - or use two filters!
The PPPoE setup, including user ID and password, needs to be on the router, but NOT on the computers. Computers can be set to get IP addresses automatically (DHCP), with PPPoE Off.
Undo any MAC address spoofing.

Back