networking iMAc and PC

alucard

Registered
I bought my wife the new iMac. I have a PC and we are both connected to our DSL line with a DSL router (it acts as a switch as well). What do i need to be able to share files with the iMac and the PC. i know Win2000 has services for Macintosh, but I am on a Windows ME PC and it doesn't have that. Can anyone let me know how to make this work? Thanx for any help.

Go to http://sourceforge.net/projects/xamba/

and download Samba X 2.2.2 package. Then install it. After you've done that go to http://127.0.0.1:901 and you will be taken to the samba setup screen. This is a link to the setup file for Samba that is installed onto your computer. Once you have set this up you can share your files with PC's.

To look at the files that PC's are sharing a good utility is SMBbrowse. You can download SMB Browse from version tracker or from the Dev's page at http://shukwit.com/main.php

Good luck,
Dixon

If you need any help just reply here or email me at briandixon@mac.com

Before I said the local address to edit the swat file was 270.0.0.1:901. I was wrong it should be 127.0.0.1:901

Sorry for the mistake. By the way it will ask for a username and pass when you log into edit the swat file. Make sure you have ROOT enabled because you must use root to loging and edit it so it will be applicable to all users.

-Dixon

Originally posted by alucard
I bought my wife the new iMac. I have a PC and we are both connected to our DSL line with a DSL router (it acts as a switch as well). What do i need to be able to share files with the iMac and the PC. i know Win2000 has services for Macintosh, but I am on a Windows ME PC and it doesn't have that. Can anyone let me know how to make this work? Thanx for any help.

If you want to access shared resources from the Mac, then yeah, you will need something like Samba. To access shared resources from the PC from the Mac, you can get to them using SMB from the Finder Go menu:

smb://PC_name/shared_dir

Hope this helps....

How can I transfer files from my laptop running NT to my BWG3 running OSX?
Can I use an ethernet cable? If so, what do I need to do?
Can you give me step-by-step fool-proof instruction?

Get the SMB Browse as mentioned in the above post.
Install it.
All you will need to do is specify the password for the PC in the SMB Browse program. And make sure you have the files you want to copy in a folder that is shared.

From there it should be self explanatory. (I hope).

-Dixon

alucard,

If you are not sure how to install samba into your iMac, try to enable the ftp server on your iMac under Mac OS X. Open "Sharing" in "System Preferences" in the "Dock", unlock it by clicking the lock icon on left bottom corner, and then enable "Allow FTP access". Now you can type the string "ftp://username:password@ip-address" without quote in the windows IE' URL box. You can see all the files and directories in your IE browser.

On mac side, just use Go > Connect to Server,
type "smb://workgroup;username:password@computername/share-folder/" in the Address box. However, you must shared a folder on your PC first.

Originally posted by lonny
How can I transfer files from my laptop running NT to my BWG3 running OSX?
Can I use an ethernet cable? If so, what do I need to do?
Can you give me step-by-step fool-proof instruction?

I've done it. You setup a folder with sharing privileges for yourself with an ID and password. From the Mac Finder select GO / Connect to server (shortcut is command-K). Enter
smb://workgroup;username@netbiosname/share

Look here for more details
www.opensource.apple.com/projects/documentation/howto/html/osxsmb.html

Ideally you should have a both computers connected via Ethernet cables to a hub or switch. It might work with a cross over Ethernet cable.

Other resources
www.macosxhints.com
www.apple.com search the knowledge base under the support heading.

Make sure you dismount the NT volume from the desktop before shutting down NT.

Thx neutrino!
But how do I know the variables in the line:

smb://workgroup;username@netbiosname/share ?

on your PC right click on network nieghborhood (or if you are on windows ME or 2000 it'll be My Network Places), select properties, click on the identification tab and it will show you your workgroup name (by default it is workgroup) and your computername. The userID and password will be whatever you use when you boot up.

Thx again...
it all starts to make sense to me!

So, i just need to connect the two machines with a ethernet cable then?
Or do I need additional hardware?

The best way is to get a network hub and 2 ethernet cables. One goes from hub to PC the other goes from hub to Mac. (If you are sharing a DSL/Cable connection to the internet, you may want to look at a DSL/Cable router with 4 ports [or so] instead of a hub). Once done, the above instructions should work fine.

If you are daring, you can make/get cables to connect the two machines directly. I don't recommend this, but it is possible.

IMO dave works best, just not under jaguar currently

dave will let you share back and forth rather easily

BuddahBob,

This is a two month old thread. There hasn't been a post since May. The problem is mute with the upcoming release of Jaguar and built in SMB capabilities. Not to mention the fact that DAVE costs money, while there are FREE options that do WORK just as well when it comes to file sharing, albeit the set up is not as easy as DAVe.

BTW, Welcome to the forum.

dixon, if you could enlighten me on how to share files between my pc and my mac so that i can have my mac seen on my pc for ftp reasons, then please tell me, thus far it has been a painful experience to say the least ;)

Check out http://www.solidshare.com

- Install SolidShare on your PC
- Configure a local network (With your PC having the IP address 192.168.0.1 for the TCP-IP driver for the card that connects your computer to the iMac
- On the Mac, set 192.168.0.1 as the gateway (you may also need to specify a few DNS servers)
- Voila! There are obviously details that you have to take into account (network stuff). This is how I did it before I got Windows XP which has internet sharing built right into it.

Konan

Back