Networking issues

solrac

Mac Ninja
After all this time of just "knowing" Mac OS X is superior to Windows XP --- it all comes crashing down.

Windows XP is superior. Period. Why?

In Win XP, go to your network preferences. Get properties on your wireless OR ethernet connection. Open TCP/IP properties. You can now set your nameservers, IP address, and gateway, just like on OS X.

(In OS X, gateway is known as router)

But... in Win XP, you can specify multiple gateways. You can add gateways in a list, just like you can add DNS servers in a list.

In OS X, you can only specify ONE ROUTER ADDRESS. There is NO WAY to specify more than one router!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Why??? Why is that functionality limited?? I heard that used to be possible in OS 9!!

Someone said "create a duplicate port configuration and in the dup., put a different router address". Good idea, but you can't! The "airport" selection in network port configurations cannot be duplicated! Windows XP can add multiple gateways with just the click of a mouse, for wireless OR ethernet.

In OS X, you have to duplicate a whole setting, and then change the router address in the duplicate? And it's not even possible on airport?

Wow... windows XP really is better. I can't believe it.

I hope I am wrong and someone can show me how to do this, and I am just being overly dramatic. But something so basic and important seems to be left out of OS X! Come to the rescue PLEASE, mac people!

If you think XP is so superior, then stick with it.

If you're trying to be funny, it didn't work.
If you're trying to glean some info, you have an awkward way of doing it.

Randman said:
If you think XP is so superior, then stick with it.

If you're trying to be funny, it didn't work.
If you're trying to glean some info, you have an awkward way of doing it.

I was just mac-heart-broken to see NO way of doing something so essential, that XP could do so easily

I always said the only point of XP is for half life 2.

But I guess now, XP is good for half life 2, and managing a network that needs to specify two gateways on a wireless connection

ill start of by saying that im negative towards ur post.

first, if u have a problem there are other forums on this site to help u, eg system and software!!!
if ur writing here just cause its a popular forum, than ur totally wrong.

and if ur writing here cause ur opinion is that XP rules, then u again dont belong here..

moderators do ur job, or do we have to remind u all the time ?

Well, no one said OS X is better than WinXP in ANY particular feature. The superior os is the one that is better in the sum of all features. So, judging on a os just on ONE feature is very purblind, if you ask me.
However, what you are expecting from WinXP is just available in the Pro version and not in the home edition. Did you check this functionality in the server version of macosx?

Zammy-Sam said:
Well, no one said OS X is better than WinXP in ANY particular feature. The superior os is the one that is better in the sum of all features. So, judging on a os just on ONE feature is very purblind, if you ask me.
However, what you are expecting from WinXP is just available in the Pro version and not in the home edition. Did you check this functionality in the server version of macosx?

Really? I thought about that but I wasn't sure

I don't think it applies because...
The Pro version of XP is $299
The server of OS X is $999

No comparison.

soulseek said:
ill start of by saying that im negative towards ur post.

first, if u have a problem there are other forums on this site to help u, eg system and software!!!
if ur writing here just cause its a popular forum, than ur totally wrong.

and if ur writing here cause ur opinion is that XP rules, then u again dont belong here..

moderators do ur job, or do we have to remind u all the time ?

I just posted here to hopefully find a mac person that knows how to do this in Mac OS X. I am not sure what forum this post belongs in. Maybe a moderator would move this to system and software if that is better. That is their job not mine. I'm not the expert at what forum to put this post in....

Also I HATE windows. I am just sad that this is so simple and *Key word* ESSENTIAL, and easy in XP

OS X NEEDS THIS functionality to be a viable networking OS!

Please mac terminal junkie, come to the rescue!

Maybe if you didn't start on the XP is better... garbage, you'd find more people offering solutions than commenting on your (incorrect) statement.

Well, we'll see... hopefully someone that knows the answer will post it here, regardless of my "XP is better" dramatization ---- which is reality, because any Windows fool would jump all over you with that fact and never let it go, and 50 windows guys would crowd around you and point and say OS X doesn't have multiple routers and then you would see that's why I phrased my post the way I did.

Well, you are comparing David with Goliath when you compare WinXP Pro to OSX server, but since your feature is just available in these two os, there is no other way. If this only feature is a reason for you to pick a certain os, then WinXP should be your choice. Does that say which os is the better one in general and not just for your case? Not at all!
I don't need this feature like maybe 99% of other mac and pc users. That's why the remaining features matter much more to me and make me say that MacOSX is the superior os.
Did you search on versiontracker.com for a little freeware-tool that does this SO important thing?

Based on your logic, I would have to say OS X is better. You see, I need to quickly lookup domain addresses during the day. On Windows, I have to open a browser, wait for it to load, load up domainwhitepages.com, and enter the address.

On my Mac, I switch to the terminal, and type "whois dominaname" and I get all the information I need.

So there. Mac OS X is surperior to Windows XP.

serpicolugnut said:
Based on your logic, I would have to say OS X is better. You see, I need to quickly lookup domain addresses during the day. On Windows, I have to open a browser, wait for it to load, load up domainwhitepages.com, and enter the address.

On my Mac, I switch to the terminal, and type "whois dominaname" and I get all the information I need.

So there. Mac OS X is surperior to Windows XP.

That is easier to do on OS X wth the terminal. But it is possible to do it on both XP and OS X.

Multiple routers does not even EXIST (as far as I know) on OS X!

That's far worse.....

Zammy-Sam said:
Well, you are comparing David with Goliath when you compare WinXP Pro to OSX server, but since your feature is just available in these two os, there is no other way. If this only feature is a reason for you to pick a certain os, then WinXP should be your choice. Does that say which os is the better one in general and not just for your case? Not at all!
I don't need this feature like maybe 99% of other mac and pc users. That's why the remaining features matter much more to me and make me say that MacOSX is the superior os.
Did you search on versiontracker.com for a little freeware-tool that does this SO important thing?

I searched on google for "mac os x" multiple routers (and many similar phrases / keywords) -- but found NOTHING except one post on MacFixIt saved only inside google's cache, which did not have a solution. Apparently though, OS 9 could do this just like XP can -- so maybe it's just one of the last remaining OS 9 superiorities..... (that were never made up for in X)

troll-or.jpg

According to the below link you can/should be able to duplicate the Airport. Maybe something is wrong with your mac.....

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=151801

"Adding a network port configuration. A configuration is a group of settings for a specific network port (a physical network connector, such as your computer's Ethernet port, modem port, or AirPort Card, for example)."

Actually, the price you listed was for an unlimited client server, you can get server for $499 for 10 users. If your in edu, its about half that again. I'm sure you also get tons more in Server than you do in desktop as well! ;)

I guess the real question is, what have you done to correct the problem? Have you filled in a feature request to Apple? Have you even just casually filled out their "tell us what you think" type page for OS X? You'll find that Apple is pretty good at taking advice from its consumers, afterall, they don't want to lose any of them.

ex0dus said:
According to the below link you can/should be able to duplicate the Airport. Maybe something is wrong with your mac.....

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=151801

"Adding a network port configuration. A configuration is a group of settings for a specific network port (a physical network connector, such as your computer's Ethernet port, modem port, or AirPort Card, for example)."

Is there something wrong with my mac? How about yours? Tell me if the "duplicate" button is greyed out on yours too....

cant-duplicate.png

not sure about airport, but ethernet is definitely duplicatable...

also, calm down on the trolling, if you have a question regarding networking and/or software, please post it in the correct forum

wireless is in question here -- so airport has to be duplicatable

Can a mod move this to networking then?

Back