Networking Mac & PC - I'm dumb....

MightyAtom

Sock Puppet
OK this has probably been asked a thousand times before, sorry...

I'm trying to network a Win 2000 system and iMac OS X 10.1 using a crossover cable. This is basically to share the dial-up connection (usb modem if it matters) on the 2000 system with the Mac, and basic file sharing. I've searched this site and the web and ended up more confused than when I started.

Now the real problem I'm not that farmiliar with networking. I've only had this Mac a few weeks, never used a Mac before. I'm pretty much lost so if you have any suggestions please dumb it down, assume I know nothing about Macs and OS X 'cause I don't (and even less about OS 9 - haven't touched it).

If you need any other info about the setup let me know. I'll be upgrading to Win XP soon, if networking OS X and XP differs greatly than 2000 any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry for the massive request.

Thanks

Which computer is going to act as the router (the machine with the modem)? What software are you going to use to share the connection?

Hi thanks for the reply,

I was intending to use the Windows machine as the router. I'm really not fussed though if it's easier I'm happy to do it the other way.

I'm not really sure about the software the only ones I've heard of are Dave and PC/Mac Lan, I don't know if either are suitable (I've set up Dave for file sharing but no luck with internet)If you know of any software you would reccomend I'm willing to give it a go.

Back