Networking Mac to PC through two routers

ssonne

Registered
This first arrangement works perfectly: If I connect my Ibook via ethernet to a single router that has my pc connected via ethernet the two computers network beautifully.
However, if I connect my wireless router to the first router via ethernet, and then connect my Ibook to the wireless router via Air Port I cannot network the two computers anymore.
I have tried setting up both router dhcp to use 192.168.1.xxx and there are no conflicts, and I have tried turning off the firewall on the wireless router, on the Ibook, dmz'ing everything and I am now out of ideas...

The Ibook is running Tiger, the PC Win2K pro...

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Stephen

The first router, the one with the PC connected by ethernet, should be set up as a DHCP server.

The second router, the wireless router, should be set up as a wireless repeater only - turn OFF DHCP server. Then the first router will assign IP addresses to the second router and the iBook.

Can I ask a question, though? Why use 2 routers? My wireless router is also a 4 port wired router - I use it for both.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know it could be set up that way.
I use the two routers because a) I happen to own two and b) it simplified the wiring as one computer is near the modem and I use the laptop mostly in another area.
So this way I get perfect reception and only have to run one cable to the wireless router.

Cheers,

Stephen

I personally never though bout running 2 routers, easier just to run a wireless expander IMO..... but whatever works

IMO i like less room for error.

Back