Networking OS X and Windows XP

justin.stevens

Registered
I have a G4 Cube running OS X Server and a Titanium Powerbook running OS X Client. On top of that I have two Sony Vaio's running Windows XP. All computers are on a wireless network. So far I have a Domain/Workgroup in which I can see the Server and the two Vaio's when using windows explorer. Is it possible to have the Titanium show without the use of third party software such as Dave? That is, if I manage to properly bind the Titanium to the Server would you expect that the Titanium also show in windows explorer?

Thank you in advance...

No.

The server will not do this. All of the Samba Code that does this is only installed on the server. The implementation of Samba on the client will not allow SMB clients to connect to it. It only allows for 10.1 clients to connect to PC's.

You will need Dave or Sharity.

Originally posted by tblount
Couldn't you just use FTP on the Windows XP clients to connect to your Macs?

I've done this. It works great and is certainly a lot faster than using SMB on OSX to connect the WinXP box.

Yes you can see the titanium under your XP machines but you have to install netbios and some other network protocols that is mentioned some other threads regarding win2k and XP. Once you do that, in My network, clik on microsoft networks and you should see your macs there. You must enable windows sharing in OS X server and configure the proper ports in your router if you have one. I have OS X server running and i can file share with XP and OS X server and print from XP. Very nice.

Originally posted by tblount
Couldn't you just use FTP on the Windows XP clients to connect to your Macs?

What, does XP have an FTP client which allows you to drag and drop files to and from a file server? How about Win2k and Win98? I need a way to make the files on my OS X Server available to macs from OS 9-X and Windows 98-XP but am having no luck with windows file serving from the Mac OS X Server, looking for other solutions.

Um, the Samba install that comes with 10.1 only lets you connect to Windows shares, not serve.

But it's easy to download and set up the real samba server so you'll be able to see your TiBook on the Windoze network.

Search the General Discussion and Trouble Shooting forums for 'samba' or 'smb' and you should find some interesting threads with instructions or links on how to do this. I believe there is even a Samba OS X installer now that is point and click! I can't remember the addresses off the top of my head, so you'll have to search the other forums. I know it can be done though, because I have!

Originally posted by AlanCE

What, does XP have an FTP client which allows you to drag and drop files to and from a file server? How about Win2k and Win98? I need a way to make the files on my OS X Server available to macs from OS 9-X and Windows 98-XP but am having no luck with windows file serving from the Mac OS X Server, looking for other solutions.

Absolutely. However, true to Windows form, it's not exactly seamless. You can drag and drop from the Window, but double-clicking does some odd things, depending on the application. I've attached a screenshot of my XP box connected to my MacOSX box. If I select all the MP3's in the Window and hit enter, it'll open 15 additional windows, download the mp3's, then (oops) open one of them in Windows Media Player. Ugh...

Hey, but drag-n-drop works... :)

I think that this is more a function of IE than Windows, so it would probably work in Win2K. Don't know about Win98, but with IE6 installed, it should also work.

Attachments

• xpftpss.jpg
    xpftpss.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 28
Back