Networking Powerbook w/ DLink PI 714P+

dainger

Registered
Ok editing to make this a bit more specific.

My problem is stability, whenever my PowerBook's connection is idle for roughly 5 minutes I lose connection and need to goto the airport icon in the menu bar and "Turn AirPort off" then "Turn AirPort On", this almost always restores the connection. although it varies and sometimes the connection remains for up to 30 minutes of idle time. This isn't a huge problem but it is starting to become rather annoying.

I have a PowerBook G4 15", running Mac OS X Version 10.3.9 w/ an AirPort Extreme Card built in, the card's firmware is 400.17 (3.90.34.0.p11). My wireless router is a D-Link DI-714P+. There is one Sony Vaio Desktop wired to the router and one PC laptop running Windows XP Home connected wirelessly. The PCs do not experience any problems with the network. The firmware on the router is up to date and the router is set to default settings currently, using DHCP. I have had it encrypted with WEP, and changed channels, I've also tried to set the IP manually on the PowerBook but that causes me to lose connection entirely to the internet, Although I am still connected to the router. I have also tried using an earlier version of the firmware for the router.

My question is, if I upgraded the laptop to 10.4 would that fix this, or should I just go with a new router? Or is there possibly some simple fix I have just not been able to find?

-thanks

Dain

in my expereince with macs and wireless....the apple ones are best, but most expensive, then I ALWAYS recommend Linksys over Dlink...Linksys will setup instantly, D-Link, I have to monkey around so much, to a point, where I dont bother, I send people back to teh store to get Linksys, so...if your thinking of chaning your router...do it!

Back