Networking Problem with OS 10.3.3

billyd380

Registered
Hi Everyone,

I just want to warn everyone that this problem has the software engineers at Apple stumped so I turning to any kind of help I can get. I appreciate any advice you can give me.

I am a network admin that looks after 5 macs and 8 pc's. I have on mac that is running OS 10.3.3. It works fine until you try to look at the desktop folder of another mac running OS 9.2. It will see the folder as a UNIX executable file. This is not the only file that does this either. Their will be plenty of Mac related files that will be this way. The weird thing is that I recently found one file on the OS X computer it saw this way also. I can't seem to find an answer for this and all of the apple support techs have been great, but none of their test are showing up anything. I have gone as far as formatting the hard drive and reinstalling the OS. It is formated as a Mac OS extended not as a UNIX. Thanks for all the help if you can and I hope to hear from someone.

Bill

Which protocol are those macs using to share their files? Appletalk? TCP/IP?
And did you try the same thing using ftp?

Last but not least: welcome to the forum, Bill!

Strange, I don't have this problem. I used to use an OS9 machine as the router, this was also my wifes machine. I used to backup portions of this machine namely contents of the "Desktop Folder". No problems whatsoever?

When an Apple mounts any filserver, it will translate a directory (for want of better words) into a Folder for you.

I am wondering if your personnal AFP is damaged in some way and is passing incorrect data to the client, which is then interpreting this information incorrectly.

I have since moved that machine to OSX, zero problems again.

Zammy-Sam said:
Which protocol are those macs using to share their files? Appletalk? TCP/IP?
And did you try the same thing using ftp?

Last but not least: welcome to the forum, Bill!

Thanks for the welcome. They are using TCP/IP. I should mention that since we are using a Windows 2003 Server the OS 9.2 is using Dave to connect to the network. I did setup a crossover cable in between them and set them to appletalk and it did the same thing. I haven't tried to do ftp. I am still learning Mac's but I am a quick learner. I have been working on them for about 8 months now and I do know my way around one fairly well, but still don't know all the different tools. Would you connect using ftp just like you would anything else? For instance now to connect to the OS 9 computer we go to Connect to Server and type in SMB://nameofcomputer. I will give this a try and let you know if it works or what I find out. Thanks for the advice and if any more thoughts come to mind please let me know.

Hi Bill.
Just for your info, SMB is "Samba" which is the Windows sharing standard (which is what Dave implements on Mac OS 9, and is built in to OSX and Windows). It is a different protocol to FTP, but fits into the scheme of things in a similar place - sitting on top of the networking layer (in this case, TCPIP) and telling the computers "now that you already know how to talk to each other, here's how we share our drives and printers".

First of all, what you'll need to do is see whether you have TCPIP connectivity working between the machines. To do this, you need to get the IP address of each machine and see if they can "ping" each other.

On Mac OS X you can ping either from the Terminal "ping" command or using the Network Utility in /Applications/Utilities. To find out an IP address on a Mac OS X machine, go to System Preferences --> Network. An IP address is usually four numbers in the range 0-255, separated by dots. Eg: 94.15.12.208
On Windows, you can get the IP address by opening a command prompt (called DOS prompt on some versions) and typing "ipconfig /all". You also use a "ping" command from the command prompt, for example "ping 12.34.56.78" to see if you can get a response from another machine on the network.
As for Mac OS 9, I'm pretty sure you'd get the IP address by going into the control panel, then choose "network". As for ping-ing, I'd imagine there is a network utility similar to the Mac OS X one, but I'm afraid I don't know.

Once you've established that each of the computers can talk to the server (your OS9 computer) on TCPIP, then you can connect them onto the Mac OS 9 machine's shared drive. Of course, in order to do this the machine has to actually be sharing a drive...
On a windows machine, you would go Start --> Run and type \\ip-address-of-server
On Mac OS X, you would select (in the Finder) Go --> Connect to Server. If the server doesn't come up in the list, then enter it as smb://ip-address-of-server

Hope this helps point you in the right direction.

symphonix said:
Hi Bill.
Just for your info, SMB is "Samba" which is the Windows sharing standard (which is what Dave implements on Mac OS 9, and is built in to OSX and Windows). It is a different protocol to FTP, but fits into the scheme of things in a similar place - sitting on top of the networking layer (in this case, TCPIP) and telling the computers "now that you already know how to talk to each other, here's how we share our drives and printers".

First of all, what you'll need to do is see whether you have TCPIP connectivity working between the machines. To do this, you need to get the IP address of each machine and see if they can "ping" each other.

On Mac OS X you can ping either from the Terminal "ping" command or using the Network Utility in /Applications/Utilities. To find out an IP address on a Mac OS X machine, go to System Preferences --> Network. An IP address is usually four numbers in the range 0-255, separated by dots. Eg: 94.15.12.208
On Windows, you can get the IP address by opening a command prompt (called DOS prompt on some versions) and typing "ipconfig /all". You also use a "ping" command from the command prompt, for example "ping 12.34.56.78" to see if you can get a response from another machine on the network.
As for Mac OS 9, I'm pretty sure you'd get the IP address by going into the control panel, then choose "network". As for ping-ing, I'd imagine there is a network utility similar to the Mac OS X one, but I'm afraid I don't know.

Once you've established that each of the computers can talk to the server (your OS9 computer) on TCPIP, then you can connect them onto the Mac OS 9 machine's shared drive. Of course, in order to do this the machine has to actually be sharing a drive...
On a windows machine, you would go Start --> Run and type \\ip-address-of-server
On Mac OS X, you would select (in the Finder) Go --> Connect to Server. If the server doesn't come up in the list, then enter it as smb://ip-address-of-server

Hope this helps point you in the right direction.

OK, well maybe I didn't make my self very clear on what I know and don't know. I am an experienced Network Technician and know how to do network protocol testing, espically pinging that's my fault. I have been working in the feild for 5 years and have a Networking Degree. I do know the lingo. What I don't know and am kind of unfamiliar with are different network testing methods with Mac's. I do know how to ping in both PC's and Mac's OS 9 and X. They do this just fine and can see and commuinicate with each other. The problem is somewhere in the commuinication, I am leading towards a NIC problem because it will come up with all sorts of errors in the Network Utility. The funny thing is none of the softare or hardware tests the Mac Techs or I have done show any hardware problems. As for the IP thing we are running DHCP and both pick up an address fine. So if anyone can give me some more options that would be great.

Thanks,
Bill

Zammy-Sam said:
any results on ftp transfer yet?

Nope not yet. I kinda have to wait for my head designer not to be busy to have any time with it. I will try it today when he goes to lunch. My question on that is do I do that through the connect to server or through a terminal window?

Thanks,

Bill

I am not familiar with macos 9.2. Macosx has an implemented ftp-server. You will need to turn it on using System Preferences -> Sharing
Opening ftp-volumes works with safari: ftp://133.133.133.133:1444
I am not sure how it works with macos 9.2. Check out if there is something similar on System Preferences of macos 9.2.

Zammy-Sam said:
I am not familiar with macos 9.2. Macosx has an implemented ftp-server. You will need to turn it on using System Preferences -> Sharing
I am not sure how it works with macos 9.2. Check out if there is something similar on System Preferences of macos 9.2.

Cool,

I will try it and let you know.

Thanks

Zammy-Sam said:

Well I couldn't get the ftp to work. I guess I just don't know enough about apple's and ftp. Especially between OS X and OS 9.2. Thanks for the idea though. If you have any others that would be great.

unfortunately I can't help you with macos 9.2. You should maybe start a new thread about ftp over macos 9.2. We have some macos freaks here.. sorry :(

Back