Networking problems with OS X and NT

balster

Registered
Hi,

I'm the proud owner of the new iBook, I'm running Samba x so I can acces the mac from windows machines. I brought my iBook to work today and plugged it in. 2 seconds later I recieved a call from our IT departement! My ibook shows up on the netwark as a NT 4.5 (!) server. It seems to be running some processes that make our network go wild. Can anyone help me?

Grtz,

Balster:confused:

Be sure that you do not have your Samba server configured to be a domain controller. Doing so will cause significant grief for your IT folks since it can interfere badly with the existing domain(s) on the network; especially if the domain name you've configured matches any of the names on the network.

The other issue is browse master. The browse master config will also cause reelections on the domain, generating significant amounts of traffic; again, causing grief for the IT folks.

There's a good reference for how to configure as a domain controller at http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~cj9r/Samba-PDC-HOWTO.html - make sure you're not doing these things. Of particular note, beware if you've configured any of the following in your smb.conf file:

preferred master = yes
domain master = yes
local master = yes
security = user
encrypt passwords = yes
domain logons = yes

To be safe, the answers to these should be no, and security should be "SHARE" (there may be other settings - do your homework before reattaching to the network). Do be careful about this. Where I work, more than one person has been fired in the past for bringing our entire domain down by bringing up a Samba server in domain controller mode.

Thanks for the wuick reply and usefull tips.

I am a novice user and I'm currently using the SSCT (Samba Server Config. Tool) Wich has limited options. Where do I find the samba.cnf file? And can I just use the text editor? Isn't there an easy way to share files?

grtz,

Balster

Back