Networking question

Bluesman

Registered
Ok. I have a router with an ADSL modem built in. Currently 2 computers are connected with it with LAN cables, and one laptop is wireless connected to it with WiFi. The laptop and one computer run Windows XP home, and the other computer runs Windows 2000. Now, i recently got an old Mac for my college work. It's a pretty old one and i'll only be Microsoft Word on it. I bought it because i really like the OS. It's comfortable, it doesn't have bullshit in it and it's fast. I have OS 9.2.2 installed on it.

ANYWAY, i connected it to the router and internet worked perfectly. But, will i be able to share files with the windows computers? And how?

Another thing, my mac is in the room next to the "main computer". That one has a long wire from the floor below it running to the router. If i would connect my Mac to the router, i would need another long cable which i don't like. Is it possible to put another network card in my PC, and run a Lan cable from the PC to the Mac? Would internet work on my Mac that way if the PC is on?

'Now, i recently got an old Mac for my college work.' ... unlike PC'ers, Macintosh owners / users do not identify their computers as a 'System 9.2.2' or 'MacOS X 10.2.8' computer; instead they state the explicit model - 'iMac G5 20 inch', 'Mac IIci' ... running System 9.2 ... Thus, 'old Mac' is non descriptive, non informative.

'But, will i be able to share files with the windows computers?', yes ... 'And how?', Dave.
If you 'old Mac' is a G3 Mac with built in USB ports, you could install either 'Jaguar' (MacOS X 10.2.x), 'Panther' (10.3.x), or (cough choke gag ...) 'Tiger' (10.4.x). With MacOS X installed 'Dave' may be more of an option, than a requirement - as with 'System 9.2.2 or earlier' installed.

'Is it possible to put another network card in my PC, and run a Lan cable from the PC to the Mac?', anything is possible - not all is probable. Once Dave is installed and configured on the Mac, the balance of the configuration would be performed on the PC. A subject supported on Window's support web sites, etc.
'Would (the) internet work (that is, be accessible) on my Mac that way if the PC is on?', the PC would have to be ON.

The only one that comes in DVD is Tiger, although I believe you can have Apple ship you CDs in place of the DVD.

Back