networking with g3

mstobbs

Registered
Hi, I was hoping a brilliant mind on this message board would be able to help a noob like myslef network some g3's.
I have a PowerBook prismo running tiger and an iMac 333mhz running panther that I would like to share files via Ethernet. I've played with network settings, but have not had any luck. Any thoughts? Is this possible?

Thank you very much
-stobbs

Yes, it's possible...
Set them to manual, and use e.g. 10.0.0.1 in one and 10.0.0.2 in the other mac and they should see each other as the most plain network.

Yes, it's possible...
Set them to manual, and use e.g. 10.0.0.1 in one and 10.0.0.2 in the other mac and they should see each other as the most plain network.

Do you have a router for internet connection. If so, check out the settings as normally routers assign ip-numbers.

There is more than one way to make a working network, tcp/ip is at the moment the mainstream (99.9%).

Also the netmasking is important, make them 255.255.255.0 for both systems.

Also do the computers see each other (can you ping to the other by using the ping command in the terminal (easy = ping 10.0.0.2 (or make the last digit 1 for the other machine).

Also check the firewall, because very tight firewalls could block everything including pinging for example.

To share files, turn on file sharing (which allows you to control the computers to be accessed as you might not want all computers to be accessed all the time).

So can you provide more information on the settings as that might be required to provide more information.

Good luck, Kees

Back