networking

prakash

Registered
hello,

can anybody advice how go about networking mac osx with linux server locally using ethernet port ?

cheers
prakash

Well, there are so many things to do with a network I hardly know where to start (I mean it--I really don't know anything!).

If you're interested in sharing files, you should do some research into Samba or NFS, two techniques for sharing files over a network. Mac OS X and Linux both have built-in NFS support, and you can download Samba for both. Samba is a reverse-hack of a Microsoft protocol, but it has some advantages over NFS, so it's used even outside Microsoft networks.

-Rob

Originally posted by rharder
Well, there are so many things to do with a network I hardly know where to start (I mean it--I really don't know anything!).

If you're interested in sharing files, you should do some research into Samba or NFS, two techniques for sharing files over a network. Mac OS X and Linux both have built-in NFS support, and you can download Samba for both. Samba is a reverse-hack of a Microsoft protocol, but it has some advantages over NFS, so it's used even outside Microsoft networks.

-Rob

Netatalk doesn't help much at the moment. There is a severe copatibility problem with netatalk on a linux-box and the appletalk-stack on macosx. Samba isn't much of an option right now, because you cannot mount a samba share on your osx-box (still, the otherway works fine.)
The best thing to do is using nfs. Go to your linux-box and edit /etc/hosts, /etc/exports and restart inetd and nfsserver.
An example:

/etc/hosts:

macosx_ip_address name_of_macosxbox

/etc/exports:

/directory/to/share name_of_macosxbox(rw)

Mount this share on your macosxbox with the command

mount -t nfs macosx_ip_address://directory/to/share /desired/mount/point

Have fun ;-)

cu:Stray

stray,

thanks very much for your advice. i really appreciate.. i would give it a try..

cheers
praks

Back