New 20" imacs!!]

i thought they would have stoped at 17 but nooooo they are gonna keep on pushing out bigger screens
(not that i dont mind ^,^)

i would have liked to see a speed bump like to 1.33 or 1.42mhz in the new iMac but they are still extremely cool

holy dog @#$%! They finally did it. Made a 20 inch iMac (although I'd thought it would be 19). Well, bravo Apple. Impressive indeed! But how much bigger is the base (the computer itself)?

I managed to talk work into getting me a 20" screen at work. 1) It's amazing. 2) It's fantastic. 3) My coworkers are all jealous (I'm the only one that got one, and it turns out I'm only one that's going to get one since the related project is essentially falling through (which would have bought a series of screens and G5s for quite a few people within my PC-only company)

My initial thought was, WOW. What an amazing box.

I'm also sure the 20" iMacs ARE amazing boxes. But I don't think I would ever buy one, nor would I recommend it to anyone I know under nearly all circumstances. Here's why:

At $2200 the iMac is about $400 cheaper than buying the 20" display and a G4 tower seperately ($1299+$1299). That's not a bad little difference, about 20% off. what it would take to buy equivalently-capable equipment otherwise.

However, that's a pretty big investment into a system that really can't ever be upgraded. When purchasing seperately, I can at least take my $1300 investment into my Cinema display and move it into a new base (new 2.5ghz G5, let's say). I can't do that with the iMac - if I want to move up to a better system, I essentially lose the very expensive monitor as well.

I guess this has always been the problem with the iMacs, but in this case the price point is too high, and the monitor too large a financial component of the hardware (in my opinion) to justify having to lose the monitor if I ever want to change out the system.

It's all a matter of opinion, I know. I do think the system would be exceedingly cool to have, and I'd recommend it to someone that absolutely had to have that form factor in a system, but really to no one else. I suspect most people would also say the same - I'm guessing this will sell to an even more limited market share than is going to be trimmed down by the price...

10.6 inches, probably no bigger than before but I'm not sure. Aren't they supposed to be redesigned early next year though? Sales have been poor for a while now and something needs to be done. Wow, a 20" monitor. Don't know if i would shell out, imagine having a 20" monitor that can't be used separately. I'd just as soon have the flexibility of a standalone monitor.

Hmmmm, good point about the screen.
I was checking the prices for a G5 and a 20inch screen to compare with the iMac and all of the sudden something else got me: is 20inch better than 2x17inch?

Shit, there goes my G5 + 20" setup. I´m goingfor this one !
By the way;
The base is no bigger than the 15 and 17 inches.

So... has Apple beefed up the support arm? Does it slowly sag to the lowered position under the weight? My mom's 17" iMac sort of does that; that's why I'm curious.

I'll only reconsider buying an iMac if they're taking thing one more step further: I want the 23" iMac! :D

Zammy-Sam said:
Hmmmm, good point about the screen.
I was checking the prices for a G5 and a 20inch screen to compare with the iMac and all of the sudden something else got me: is 20inch better than 2x17inch?

try to watch a DVD on two 17" screens :D

This is great news for everyone who wants to spent $$$$. I thought that $ is less, but I might be wrong. Anyway as everyone know this $service will be discontinued. Feel free to think what you want, I have removed all urls that point to a service that is intended to be discontinued.

that's freakin' huge. i mean HUGE. the 17" is bad enough or color accuracy, imagine the skew on the 20". i would have to physically move my head around to see everything. that's what i have to do with the 19" i've got.

iMac seems to be at a bit of a dead end, it isn't getting significantly faster and the latest model is probably too expensive for most consumers. I've always wondered about the amount of G4 iMacs that Apple actually move. Apart from the initial release they didn't seem to set the world on fire (in sales terms). Apple seem to be having huge problems differentiating the G4 iMacs. There is only 3" of screen real-estate between the mid and top range iMacs. Even the bottom system measures favourably in comparison with the other two, same memory and hard disk, with only .25Ghz processor speed in the difference. If you have €2500 the low-end G5 and a €500 LCD would seem a better buy...

The iMac is perfectly integrated (software and hardware). It's the missing link between the G5 tower and the PowerBook.

I expect a new iMac design somewhere during 2004... maybe with a G5... but the all-in-one will remain.

Let's imagine a G5-based iMac 20" with a wireless keyboard and mouse, and including a TV tuner... isn't it a perfect multimedia system ?

I find that lilbandit his(her) reply makes the most sense. When there is here a new piece of hardware it is always "can't resist". Writing some sentences on a computer is cheap. In my situation I have experience enough to know that my music website is in real trouble. After some time my product will be archived and I will react like this "Wooow can you play a guitar?" or "Have you learned to use a computer?"

You get the feeling that this is a small stop-gap measure. Something to boost sales a bit without actually DOING anything?

Look at it. The 20" iMac uses the same LCD as the 20" display. No new sourcing had to be done here. The machine is the same as the 17" iMac. This was a packaging change and price drop.

Maybe they are using this as a means to unload a bunch of 20" displays and iMac bases. Perhaps all of the iMac bases are assembled and the display is just "bolted on" later.

Clean some inventory maybe?

Back