New Adobe CS suite...

d8n_two

Registered
Just announced...here. Notably product activation required in new Photoshop CS for Windows. I'm sure there will be many comments on this.

d8n_two

Hmmm, seems Adobe is going in the direction of Macromedia when it comes to naming, although Apple started it first with X.

I'm still looking over this, so I bought the web suite some time ago and since i have PS I can get the upgrade? I have all the other apps in it as well, but damn, if I only needed to buy one to get them all, what the hell is up with that.

Now i wonder what if you have PS 6 on OS 9, does that void out the possibilities of an upgrade? Because they clear display OS X, and that would make those who haven't switched over to X more likely not to, considering PS 6 and 5.5 work fine.

I hope it is, I've been using GoLive for some time, and i like it over Dreamweaver, although it is currently weaker.

Originally posted by Urbansory
Now i wonder what if you have PS 6 on OS 9, does that void out the possibilities of an upgrade? Because they clear display OS X, and that would make those who haven't switched over to X more likely not to, considering PS 6 and 5.5 work fine.

First, don't even look at these products until you've upgraded to Mac OS X (minimum of 10.2.4 for all the products except Acrobat which is 10.2.2).

Yes you can skip some versions when upgrading. Adobe let me upgrade to GoLive 6 from PageMill 3 for $99.00.

But you may have missed the window that Adobe left open for Mac users. Many of there products were for Mac OS 9 and X (GoLive 6, LiveMotion 2, Photoshop 7, Acrobat 5, etc.) but now they are becoming Mac OS X only. If you bought the products as they were released (or in a timely manner) you would have been able to switch to Mac OS X pretty painlessly. I thought this was better than Microsoft and Quark (both made their first Mac OS X products Mac OS X-only products).

:rolleyes:

There is always ebay for the products that run in 9 though.

I got Photoshop 7 upgrade from v3. I wouldn't worry about the upgrade costs, I just think the new naming and packaging policy is confusing people.

I have downloaded the GoLive pdf to check out what's new. It does look very exciting. Dreamweaver MX2004, bah... MM shot themselves in the foot this time. Just when it looked good for MM, they go and turn MX2004 into a bloated pile of ****.

If GoLive implements CSS better than DWMX2004 (which has fallen flat on its face in this dept.) then I'll be looking at an upgrade! :) (PHP support has to be good as well!)

Originally posted by gigapet
So, (forgive my stupidity), is Photoshop CS the same as Photoshop 7 then?

Photoshop CS would appear to be the same as Photoshop 8 (or 7.5). It's hard to say as they don't have the number showing. It is not 7 though.

I'll wait for the reports. From what I'm hearing, it's only a few really good new features that won't make my life much easier. PS 8 (sorry, Photoshop cs) does _not_ have the filter layers that were rumoured. (Those were in some betas but were apparently crappy...) So what is there? I'll sure want that InDesign upgrade, though, as that is the youngest app, which probably gets the biggest new features. The story editor sounds interesting, although I've gotten used to actually write my books in InDesign directly after some basic work is done.

Illustrator cs (or 11) has some funky new 3D stuff that I probably won't use for serious work -EVER-. It sounds like many bells and some whistles to me. Too bad. :/

Apparently, all the dynamic content tools that were in GL6 have been removed from GL CS.

You can read about it here...

I own both GL 6 and DWMX, and can say that overall DWMX is the better product. GoLives site management tool is horrible to use and adds all these extra files to your folder. Dreamweaver does not. Dreamweavers implementation of CSS is infinitely better than GoLive's, although I look forward to seeing what Adobe did with it in the CS version. The biggest deal breaker with GoLive 6 for me was stability. Dreamweaver, while not the model citizen for stability, was much more reliable than GL.

The only real area that GoLive shines is in regard to QuickTime content. Otherwise, it's just a notch below Dreamweaver. Not a bad app, just not as robust as Dreamweaver.

As to Illustrator... The 3-D tool addition is very similar to their old stand alone 3D app Dimensions. The big key in Illustrator however will be performance. Under 10.2, AI 10 wasn't the fastest dog in the park. However, I can tell you that running AI 10 under Panther seems much much faster.

Originally posted by serpicolugnut
Apparently, all the dynamic content tools that were in GL6 have been removed from GL CS.

If that's the case then it is good bye GoLive for me. The dynamic content feature was one of the best part of GL 6 for guys like me who know plenty about database management and SQL but see Greek when they look at PHP. I wonder how hard it will be to move my GL PHP pages to Dreamweaver.

d8n_two

I really don't see any reason to upgrade, so i guess I will upgrade with CS 2005??? or PS 9 and Ill 12 or whatever it will be named by then.

Originally posted by Urbansory
I really don't see any reason to upgrade, so i guess I will upgrade with CS 2005??? or PS 9 and Ill 12 or whatever it will be named by then.
Dang it, I hate this departure from normal version numbers! Apple can barely get away with it because of the roman numeral thing, but too much of this is more confusing than it ought to be. X, MX, MX 2004, CS, XP, Me, NT, etc...

It's a Microsoft naming convention, and I don't like it. :mad:

I know I'm over-reacting a little... but it's soo annoying to me.

Back