New Bonjour printing problem

crash_af

Registered
Well, I got the Macs on the office network to talk to the printer (a Canon iR5000 digital copier with network capability) and they are all happy. The problem now is the WinBoxes in the system (all XP). They see the printer just fine, the drivers all installed fine, but they won't print.

The server's CUPS says that the print jobs sent from the PCs completed, but nothing comes out of the printer. The printer moves the output trays like it's preparing to print and shows that it is receiving data, but then nothing happens. No errors, no output and both the system and the copier log list it as a completed job.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Joe

Do you have the latest drivers? Can you ping that printer (get the IP from a Windows machine)? Are you both(PC + Mac) using the same IP subnet and DNS?

Yes, they are on the same subnet and the drivers are all installed correctly. The computers 'see' the printer, can send to the printer, the printer responds like it is going to print, but then the process vaporizes and no output comes from the printer. It's the wierdest thing.

Both CUPS and the printer log state that the job completed successfully.

Thanks,
Joe

Maybe something in the Apple document If you can’t print to a network printer might help.

In short delete the printer in System Preferences->Print & Fax pane so nothing shows. Then go to the Canon site I linked in my earlier post and install the latest driver. Then most important thing is to RESTART (without setting up the printer yet). Then go System Preferences->Print & Fax and the first thing you do is click the + sign. Then when the popup comes up highlight the IP pane. There put in the network printer's IP address and see if you can select it and select an driver.

Now a good shareware you could use is FixaMac's Print Therapy to see if you have the lastest CUPS etc and to Pix your printing system.

Also did you setup the network printer like this?

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Back