New boot screen in 6c106

In OS 9, the bootup screen lives as a .cpp file (C++ file) embedded into the file named "Mac OS ROM", at the root of the System Folder. (I haven't been able to locate it on OS X.) So it's not in the firmware, it's in the software. It was moved there after Apple cleaned up the PPC machine ROM and moved a lot of stuff into that Mac OS ROM file, to make the data easier to modify it later.

Originally posted by dave17lax
I thought that tiffs were integrated into quartz, so a boot screen could be one without having anything else load.

Yes, the TIFF format IS integrated into Quartz, but the thing is, , Quartz isn't loaded yet the instant Mac OS X is started up. Instead of loading graphics layers, the OS is running through it's startup procedures like copying bits of itself into RAM, detecting hardware, checking filesystems on HD, etc. A basic kind of display engine is loaded, yes, because you need it for CLI mode and to see boot progress, but the Quartz engine comes later in the boot up process.

about ksv's post:
If you walk about 5 ft away from your monitor and look at the ascii art it is much easier to see. The first one looks like an X in a crescent moon, the second one looks like an X in a circle, and the last one is an empty circle. I have never seen these pictures before in the boot process; i wonder what they mean/when they are displayed?

If someone has an extra hour on their hands, they could technically convert the text into a 16 color image (at least I think it's in 16 colors...). (the numbers are hex, I think F=white and 0=black and everything else is in between). If the images are more than 16 colors then it is a VERY low resolution image (think about it - you would need more text characters to represent a color) that's why I think it's a 16.

okay, i had to round the numbers up/down so the minor differences are obliterated (like the values between F7, F8, F9 are all 97%)

So, the three tables are the RGB values for a single image, which i've attached below

Attachments

• rgbx.gif
    rgbx.gif
    771 bytes · Views: 94
Thanks Hobeau!
It looks kind of like a mini OS X Install CD. It's about the size of the beachball cursor...so maybe at one point it was the startup cursor instead of the beachball we have now:)? Probably not.

I hope you didn't go through and make that image manually...what a pain! but I guess you didn't since you said some values were rounded. If you used a program to make it into an image, what program was it?

Originally posted by Snowball
I hope you didn't go through and make that image manually...what a pain! but I guess you didn't since you said some values were rounded. If you used a program to make it into an image, what program was it?

nope i used Photoshop, Calculator, and my noggin (with a "decimal to hex" conversion webpage i found on google). I had an hour or two to kill last night. Kinda sad...lol.

Back