New CD Labeling Technology

That is pretty cool. Yes, let's hope that it comes out for the Mac as well. Perhaps this could lead to some cool features (perhaps label burning integration in iTunes, etc.)

Cool. I'd seen the similar Yamaha system before but this looks a bit better, hopefully shouldn't cost too much too. I'd imagine that Apple would implement this sooner rather that later since they're already quite big on DVD writing.

It is pretty cool, but to really take off it needs to be a system where you don't have to flip the disc to burn the label. Also, what isn't clear in the article is how exactly the label is prepared. For example, presumably Toast or the PC equivalent would have to be updated to factor in such labeling technology. Likewise for Apple's built-in disc-writing solution. Until LightScribe is built-in to Toast and until the drives have dual lasers to avoid disc-flipping, I will continue to use my Sharpie for nine out of ten burns (it's still faster and easier). The other 10% will get the full color inkjet print treatment.

Looking forward to this technology in its version about two years from now when it really settles in.

It's about time. I'm sure we all experienced a problem with a do it yourself label. Either it sticks to your hand when you apply it, it bubbles, the print was a little off, or the damn thing makes the drive sound crazy and vibrate like all hell. I experienced each once, and that was enough to keep it from being a habit. My best labels were for college projects, they looked great, but not something i would do for no reason other than making a great first impression. I have almost a full pack of unused labels around here somewhere.

But custom designs i can burn... I can see my CDs in my car now... with friends asking... "How did you do that"

It is pretty cool, but to really take off it needs to be a system where you don't have to flip the disc to burn the label.

But that would make the drive twice as expensive, no?
I'd be quite happy flipping my disc over to get a burnt-on label.

I'd love to see them work color into it. Is that even possible? I suppose if the top of the disc were coated in some material that changes color based on how long it's exposed to the laser. Or maybe something like how Polaroids work. But round. And less messy.

Fun.

That + Garage Band + lots of talent (and CDs) = own recording label for bands.
Man, the future sucks. :p

Maybe Apple will incorporate it into the iTMS ... when you buy a song it will include artwork to burn onto the disc, much like the cover art. One thing that disappoints me with the cover art they include, is that there is no print feature to make your own cover art ... besides the artwork isn't of high resolution.

Wow... that's awesome. :) Sure, it's not in color, but it's built right into the disc. Just flip, wait a couple minutes, and you're set.

Mindbend, you would rather write on your CD-R's with possibly harmful ink or take the time & hassle of lining up a label than simply flip the CD-R and let the burner do it all for you? That doesn't sound right... besides, like Cactus said, to eliminate the flipping stage, they would essentially need to build either dual-laser burners or burners that can flip a disc themselves, which would add to the cost significantly and be much less likely to catch on ("But we already have a burner! Why do we need a new, more expensive one that doesn't burn any faster?"). This way, they can write some software, sell it, and people can use it with the burners they have now.

The longest step would be getting or making CD cover art.

Arden wrote:
Mindbend, you would rather write on your CD-R's with possibly harmful ink or take the time & hassle of lining up a label than simply flip the CD-R and let the burner do it all for you? That doesn't sound right... besides, like Cactus said, to eliminate the flipping stage, they would essentially need to build either dual-laser burners or burners that can flip a disc themselves, which would add to the cost significantly and be much less likely to catch on ("But we already have a burner! Why do we need a new, more expensive one that doesn't burn any faster?"). This way, they can write some software, sell it, and people can use it with the burners they have now.
--------

1. Sharpie's are still way easier and and faster than LightScribe. I have no personal evidence that the ink has caused any damage whatsoever and I've got several thousand client archives.

2. Color labels will still be preferred for those who want or need color. I hate lining up labels as much as anyone, but it's the only option short of a special purpose inkjet printer.

3. I would pay $100 more easily for a burner that doesn't force me to flip. I simply am not going to flip CDs and wait for an etching for 90% of my burns. Sure, sometimes, I will if I need it to look decent for some reason. Most burns for me are archival with no need for quality of print. Another big chunk are quick review burns or printer deliveries that also do not require any quality, though legibility in the latter is welcomed, I'm sure.

4. LightScribe does NOT work with existing burners, but will with upcoming models. Dual burn technology exists in other drive technologies (high end dual layer DVD burners) and will make its way to the average burner at some point.

LightScribe is cool. If I end up with a compatible drive and software that supports it, I'll certainly use it when appropriate. It's awesome for a lot of reasons, the flip issue aside. I'm just not going to waste my time (as minimal as it would be) to flip a disc to get a pretty font that says "Test Movie", "Client X Print Ad" or "Client Z Website 042804". I could have the disc filed away with my Sharpie before I've even flipped it using LightScribe. As you can tell, I ain't flipping no discs for a fancy label that serves no purpose. :)

It's the same reason and mentality that keeps a notepad and real sticky notes next to my machine even though I've got a million computer options to do the same. Pen and paper is still king for many of my tasks. Faster, easier, more fluid, different brain process, etc.

I second that one!

People today seem to forget the advantages of a sheet of paper, a pencil and an eraser! I can't even imagine doing my job as a software developer without these basic, simple but oh so useful tools!
I simply think better when holding a pencil in my hand.

OTOH, this is a really cool technology! :) Of course, I would still label my backup CD's with a sharpie, but sometimes it would be great to be able to "print" something nice on the CD.
Like, when I burn something for my better half! :)

Just my .02,
Dr Watson

Back