new chimera browser out!

thanks for the heads up! it looks like this is my default browser now- it even connects to wellsfargo.com, something even the current build of mozilla won't do for me... i wonder why?
this makes me happy- thanks a ton! :D

Hmmm......

My long-standing complaint (unfortunately) still stands – text fields are still way too slow. One upside is that the cursor is now always in the right place when typing in text fields, whereas they used to be a little too far to the left.

Good to know they're still working on it, though. The new preferences panel is a thmbs up (unless it's been there and I haven't noticed it before).

:shrug: Typing is acceptable, but maybe that's because I'm just on my mom's iBook. I'll test when I get back to my cube at home.

Oh, yeah, I've been using .4 for a while now, getting it from the nightly builds. IT finally doesn't crash on java! I'd like to play more with it, but it is still lacking a lot. I find it annoying that it doesn't have back and forward button history like all other browsers. But the java thing is a HUGE leap, and it even has some preferences now! :)

I must say, though, after using it for a bit on my mom's iBook, it is REALLY fast and looks *almost* as good as OmniWeb (aqua form elements still look waaaay too huge).

simX, just FYI, one of the long term plans for Chimera is to use Cocoa for the text fields. This will not only make them much faster, but it will make the spell checker and services work in text fields. This isn't going to happen soon, however, since it requires much more rewriting than getting the cocoa form controls did.

Also, last week David Hyatt, the creator of Chimera, quit his job at AOL and went to work at Apple. We should all wish him good luck there :)

strange enough, mouseovers (hover links) are still incredibly slow compared to mozilla or IE. apart from that, I like this release, actually.

one other complaint: i like to browse with all interface elements off, but there's still a visible bar of about 3 pixels height.

(Edit: I've just opened more tabs and seen that it goes away with that. Nicer.)

Two bits of levity :)

There are people working at AOL designing software that works? ;)

Hmm...should I stay here at AOL or go to work for Apple?

I am sure he spent many sleepless nights trying to decide.

Maybe I am just punchy from not sleeping enough. I just found the whole thing amusing.

Back